[ABANDONED] Flashing STM32F405OG with J-Link + J-FLash

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] Flashing STM32F405OG with J-Link + J-FLash

Hi there,

I am currently working on a vision sensor device that contains an Inventek ISM43340-M4G-L44-10C WiFi module.
    This WiFi module contains an STM32F405OGY6TR.
    While we initially used UART bootloader to flash the STM32 with the WiFi firmware, the latest design aimed to simplify programming by using JTAG/SWD with a Segger J-Link Plus and J-Flash software.

We are encountering some issues when flashing the device with this method.
    It does not work reliably. It does work but often fails to erase/flash the chip.
    Please see the attached error messages below.

There seems to be an issue with the CPU not halting, preventing us from programming reliably.
    Are there any particular config steps that need to be taken to allow the MCU to be reliably programmed.

I should note we have tried to use both JTAG and SWD. The WiFi module has only got JTAG pins which I believe allow us to connect to the STM32 and the other Cypress radio chip on the module in a JTAG chain. When we use SWD, we connect to just one device, which is the STM32 (I know this because SWD programming has worked before).

I'd appreciate any advice on what could be done to allow us to flash this chip reliably using JTAG/SWD.

Many thanks
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your inquiry.
    There is no issue known to us connected to the STM32F4 devices.

I noticed that you do not use the latest version of the J-Link Software, apparently.
    Could you please download the latest version and try again?
    You can find it here:
    segger.com/downloads/jlink#J-L…twareAndDocumentationPack

If the issue persists after updating:
    1) Could you please send us a J-Link log file? How to enable:
    wiki.segger.com/J-Link_DLL#Enable_J-Link_Log_File
    2) Could you please send us the J-Flash log file?
    3) Does this issue also occur on an evaluation board? If yes, which one?
    4) Could you provide us with step-by-step instructions on how to recreate this issue?

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Fabian,

Thanks for the reply.
    Updating the software didn't fix the issue.
    I have attached the log files below. These correspond to the errors reported above.
    I have not used any evaluation boards. The MCU is on a custom PCB.
    It could be replicated by using an eval board for the ISM43340 Wifi module, on which is the target STM32 MCU.

JLinkARM.zip

Thanks,
    Jason
    Files
  • Hi Jason,
    are you sure that these are the log files from a failed session, where you erased the device?
    I do not see any error in any of these log files.

Again, we are not able to reproduce this here on any STM32F4 device.

Could you please send us the log files from a failed session?
    Would it be possible for you to send us the mentioned evaluation board?
    It seems to be out of stock/not available anymore.

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.