[SOLVED] J-Flash + OMAP L-138 + MT29F1G08ABADAWP: can't read the flash chip

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Flash + OMAP L-138 + MT29F1G08ABADAWP: can't read the flash chip

I want to read the entire flash chip MT29F1G08ABADAWP which's connected to OMAP L-138 ARM-core via J-Link. I selected the proper core in project but when I try to read I get the error: "Flash device does not support CFI". In the flash chip datasheet I see that this chip really supports ONFI command set only. I use "autoconfig flash" checkbox in the project settings because there is no my flash chip in the manual selection list.

I wonder if it possible to read this flash chip with J-Flash? Do I need some config for processor to do this? If yes, how to make it or where can I find it?
  • Hi,

What you are using is a NAND flash.
    NAND flashes are not memory mapped accessible, so you need a customer flash loader to access them (for read & program).
    While memory mapped parallel CFI NOR flashes are somewhat standardized reg. their command set and are simply accessed memory mapped through the CPU, for NAND flashes they are usually connected to a NAND flash controller of your MCU which is MCU specific and different for each MCU.

We do not have any NAND flash loader available for the OMAP-L138 but you can create on on your own:
    wiki.segger.com/Open_Flashloader

If you are interested in having SEGGER writing one for you as a service, please get in touch with sales:
    segger.com/about-us/contact-us/

BR
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

No, you are not correct.
    If you write a open flash loader for this, you can use J-Flash.
    It is just that we do not have such a loader available out-of-the-box for your setup.

BR
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.