[SOLVED] Keil_v5 not loading JL2CM3.dll

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Keil_v5 not loading JL2CM3.dll

My keil_v5 compiler is not connecting with the J-link / J-trace Cortex debug selection. When I choose SELECT it displays Error!!! Cannot load driver C:\Keil-v5\Arm\Segger\JL2CM3.dll.

I do see that driver at that path location. This setup worked at one time, but since then my HDD crashed. I needed to recover everything from my HDD and put on SSD. I have no problems with other Keil projects connecting through a ST-Link debugger to Nucleo boards, so I think the Keil set-up is fine.

I can execute J-link.exe in the same folder and through the command line connect to my MCU through the USB J-tag and successfully identify the attached devices.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.

The JL2CM3.dll is shipped by KEIL.
    Is the JL2CM3.dll is not present in that directory?
    If not, it was probably deleted somehow.

You could try to reinstall the IDE.
    If this does not help, we would suggest to contact KEIL regarding this.

Please understand that there is not much we can do here as this is a KEIL related issue.

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • I did get a response from Keil and they said my installation might be corrupted. Based on their suggestion I deleted the existing Keil folder and re-installed a fresh download of Keil in the default folder. c:\Keil_v5. After doing this, and re-installing the license, I tried selecting the J-Link as the debugger in a project. As soon as I hit the 'Settings' button after selecting the J-Link I got the same error, "either JL2CM3.dll or some other dll's were missing".

If I inspect the folder c:\Keil_v5\ARM\Segger I see the following files & folders:
    JLTAgdi.dll
    JL2CM3.dll
    JLinker.exe
    JLinkARM.dll
    folder: USBDriver

I have a second computer with this installation and I don't have this problem.
  • Hi,
    Okay.

As this seems to be an issue with the KEIL installation process,
    we will close this thread now.

Best regards,
    Fabian

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Update:
    The root of this problem was that Keil was not launched with Admin rights.
    When launched with Admin rights the J-link debugger was selectable and the SETTINGS menu could be opened.

Best regards,
    Fabian