[SOLVED] JLink Addressing not Correct in RX651 Dual memory Mode

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] JLink Addressing not Correct in RX651 Dual memory Mode

IDE: Renesas e² studio Ver 2020-10 (20.10.0).

CCRX Compiler Version: 3.02.00

Target Processor: RX651 (R5F5651CDDBG) on custom board

Segger Software Installed: J-Link V6.88C package

Segger Tool: Jlink Ultra +

Hello,

I am currently developing code on the Renesas RX651 processor and I am using Jlink Ultra+ to debug my custom board. I have my RX651 configured as dual bank flash mode. When having the chip configured this way, the valid address range we get for our code flash is 0xFFE40000 – 0xFFEFFFFF for bank 1 and 0xFFF40000 – 0xFFFFFFFF for bank 0, giving us a total of 1.5Mbytes combined. When the chip is setup as linear mode, valid address range we get for our code flash is 0xFFE80000 – 0xFFFFFFFF which is also 1.5Mbytes. The issue I was running into is that Jlink doesn’t seem to support the Dual bank memory layout for my chip. I get this warning (See Image JlinkDebugWarning.png) message when I am debugging from E2Studio using Jlink.

I know what the warning is but the Jlink doesn’t have R5F5651CDxBG_DUAL selection so I used the only one that was available, R5F5651C when setting up the Jlink with the Debugger. When ignoring this warning and clicking yes, as expected, I get the following error (See Image jlinkWriteError.png ) when writing data anywhere in 0xFFE40000-0xFFE7FFFF.

I verified that no Data was written in locations 0xFFE40000-0xFFE7FFFF by the Jlink. From here I assumed that the Jlink is using a linear mode, and it is assuming that I am trying to write to a reserved location. So, my question is:
    1. How do I make Jlink support dual memory mode for my Chip?
    2. How do I tell E2Studio to use a different Jlink dll or update the Jlink dll that comes pre-installed with E2Studio? (For example, if I want to use the Jlink DLL that gets installed with J-Link V6.88C package instead of the one that is provided by E2Studio)
    3. Any workarounds you can suggest?
    Note: I also had to define the linker sections in E2Studio myself because it was not automatically selecting the correct Flash Address range when configured in Dual Mode. Here is my Linker section Definitions (See Image customLinkerMap.png)

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your inquiry.

I can see that you also contacted us via the support system and your questions were already answered there.

For everyone else:
    We added dual memory mode to our feature request list but as there is little demand for this, we cannot provide a timeline.

We will close this thread now.

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.