[SOLVED] Embedded Code Studio for Debugging and flashing (i.e no build toolchain needed)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Embedded Code Studio for Debugging and flashing (i.e no build toolchain needed)

Hi All,

Currently i have a separate build tool chain (Scons, autotools,cmake ...) that generates the .hex .elf .map files.

I followed this tutorial to flash and debug correctly my target (tested (STM32L053R8)).
    wiki.segger.com/J-Link_Visual_Studio_Code

Once again congratulation to the Segger team for such a description. I tested and adapted it to my target on a Linux and Windows.
    Just a hint, on the linux plattform, i had to add the : "armToolchainPath": "/home/sbm_linux/gcc-arm-none-eabi-9-2020-q2-update/bin/" in the launch json file.

Nonetheless, I would prefer using Embedded Studio IDE for the same purpose (only debugging, flashing purposes). I think the IDE is made for this purpose and does what it has to do for any plattform.

I tried to load the elf file in the environment and hence had no luck no flash or debug the STM32 target. Is there any step by step tutorial/documentation for this scenario?
    For example in IAR workbench IDE (Sorry for mentioning your competitors), i just have to load the elf, select the target and the HW probe and this works, i can debug, watch viariables ,breakpoints ..... In Embedded Studio i didn t find the way. Is this possible?

Another and last point, where and how i can get the svd file for a given target ? Is the silicon(STM32L053R8) provider the responsible to provide this?

Thanks in advance.

Sugs

The post was edited 1 time, last by sugs ().

• Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Generally all that is possible.

If you are looking to use an external toolchain with ES see here:
    wiki.segger.com/Use_an_externa…hain_with_Embedded_Studio

You can also use ES as just a debugger. In that case all you have to do is select the correct target device in your project (as connect sequences vary widely between targets) and set the elf file from the external toolchain as the main load file.
    Now all debug symbols and the download will be loaded from the external elf file.

However keep in mind that ES only supports debug symbols from gcc or clang based toolchains.
    If you are using other third party toolchains with proprietary elf formats we recommend to use our universal debugger Ozone instead:

segger.com/products/development-tools/ozone-j-link-debugger/

EDIT:
    Sorry forgot to answer the svd question. SVD files are provided by the silicon vendor. Usually they are available publicly on their website. If not we recommend to contact the silicon vendors support.

Best regards,

Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.