[SOLVED] JLink.exe is using Flash Loader?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] JLink.exe is using Flash Loader?

I created a custom Flash loader for programming a SPI Flash connected to SSP peripheral of LPC1788. I started from your template and customized it in Embedded Studio IDE.

I don't have a license for JFlash, because I purchased base package only, so I can only use this tool for reading. It seems working well, so I can read data written on the SPI Flash.

So I played with JLInk.exe tool, but I have some questions.

If I use loadbin/loadfile, it works, so my Flash Loader is really used to program external SPI Flash. However when I use savebin (reading and saving to file), my Flash Loader isn't used. I'm quite sure of this, because JFlash.exe returns real data, but JLink.exe/savebin returns only 0xFF.

Is it a bug or a well defined behaviour of JLink.exe?
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.

We will look into this.

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,
    Sorry for the delay.

"savebin" does not use the Openflashloader, and therefore only works, the external flash is already initialized.
    I added this to our feature request list.

Stay up-to-date regarding J-Link:
    segger.com/notification/subscribe.php?prodid=7,94

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Ok Fabian, thank you for your reply.

SEGGER - Fabian wrote:

"savebin" does not use the Openflashloader, and therefore only works, the external flash is already initialized.
    This isn't fully correct. In my case the external SPI Flash can't be mapped into the native addresses of MCU. So "savebin" couldn't work even if Flash is initialized, because the reading must be done by a dedicated code.