[SOLVED] New Segger Studio 5.20 extremely slow when using "Find in Files"

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] New Segger Studio 5.20 extremely slow when using "Find in Files"

Starting with Version 5.20 the "find in files" function is extremely slow.
    For my project a search takes about 20 seconds, and you can watch the progress bar slowly increasing.
    The time does not change for a second identical search, so no caching problems or similar.

I tested two previous versions, including the last 5.10b, they take less than 2 seconds.
    And I tested back and fore, so it definitely depends on the version.
    I'm using exactly the same project, so I don't think any individual settings should apply

And I verified this on a second PC, which shows the same effect. Both installations use an up to date Windows 10 x64 installation (20/04)
    I verified with SysInternals Process Monitor that the Studio does not search in totally unexpected locations.

Please have a look inside, for me this means that I need to revert to 5.10b.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rodims18 ().

• Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Could you check if the indexing process is completed?
    You can see the progress e.g. in the Source Navigator window.

After the indexing is done indexer related features should work near instant as usual.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino,
    thanks for your answer. I already checked that when writing my first, the project IS indexed.
    I enforced it again, the Source Navigator displayed "Indexing", and when done displayed the list of symbols.

However this does not change anything, the speed remains extremely slow
    Also I don't think that "find in files" is index related.

Best regards
    Rolf
  • Hi Nino,
    indexing process is finished, no graphical flash and ram usage) output.
    See attached pictures

Best regards,
    Mario
    Images
    • build 5.10d.jpg

91.03 kB, 2,064×478, viewed 304 times
    • build 5.20.jpg

65.1 kB, 2,058×472, viewed 335 times
  • Hello,

Could you provide an example project with which the issue is reproducible for reference?
    What are the reproduction steps?
    What host OS are you running on?

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Nino,
    .) Host OS, Windows 8.1, WIndows 10 same
    .) My example project is working(no private source code included), but my wirking projects are not working (lot of files and closed source from my company)
    .) I press only F7

Strange thing:
    When i recompile the whole project with 5.10d, then switch to IDE 5.20 and press F7, all is working, after recompile the whole with IDE 5.20 the summary graphical flash and ram disappears

Best regards,
    Mario
  • Hi Nino,

this is not specific to any personal project of mine.
    In case this is not a regression problem which affects all users, please try this:

1) Install the Nordic (Bluetooth) SDK 17 ( nordicsemi.com/Software-and-to…RF5-SDK/Download#infotabs )
    (this is actually just a ZIP, so no real installation)
    2) Choose a simple project, I tested for you with
    ...\ examples\ble_peripheral\ble_app_blinky\pca10056\s140\ses

The invidual code is just the main.c, but the project uses many files from the SDK

With 5.2 (and indexed in Source Navigator) I search for NRF_LOG_INFO using the function Search/"Find in Files"
    This takes roughly 8 seconds on my PC with uptodate Windows 10 x64 20/04 (SES installed on SSD, but project located on hard-disk)
    Doing the same with 5.10b the search is so fast, that it is done in < 1/4 second.

Please let me repeat from my original post:
    - I reproduced the same behaviour on a different PC (same Windows)
    - Indexing does not change anything
    - Exactly the same project search is fast with SES 5.10b (and before), but extremely slow with 5.20
    - I'm using SES quite a long time, so for all versions before it was not that slow.
    - for my original post I'm using a different project, which includes just more files from the Nordic SDK
    this takes 20 seconds for 5.20 and < 2 seconds for 5.10b

Best regards
    Rolf
  • Hello Mario,

Could you clarify what you mean with "all is working"?
    If I see correctly you are currently talking about two different issues.
    1. Slow down in find in files
    2. Memory usage not displayed

2: Is already known and will be fixed in the next version.

So regarding 1, do you see that behaviour with an example project that you could share with us?
    Do you see the behaviour only in that one large proprietary project of yours or also in other projects that are considered large?

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hi Nino,

Mario commented my original post with "Same here" but it is not sure, whether he comments on "Find in files" or "Reverting to 5.10".
    So it would be great if he could confirm, whether he has a speed problem with "Find in Files" like me.
    I just installed 5.10d to check the problem with the last 5.10x version. It is "fast", so the problem for me only appears first with 5.20.

Best regards
    Rolf
  • Hi Nino,
    correct we are talking about two different issues.

again:

5.20 very slow "Find in FIles"
    Reverting to 5.10d" fast

I will open a support ticket with example project

Thanks,
    Mario

The post was edited 1 time, last by Embedded ().

• Hello Rolf and Mario,

Thank you for providing the reproducers. With them the slower find in files is reproducible.
    We are currently investigation. I will keep you posted.

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hi quick update,

The issue could be fixed and will be available with the next ES release V5.20a.
    You can subscribe to our newsletter to receive a notification when the new version is available.

segger.com/notification/subscribe.php?prodid=196

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hello Mario,

Thank you for your feedback.
    Great to hear that you are up and running again.

We will consider this thread as solved now.

Best regards,
    Nino