[SOLVED] ERROR: Specified flashloader exceeds max. size of 64 KB.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] ERROR: Specified flashloader exceeds max. size of 64 KB.

Hello,

I'm (still) trying to add a new RISC-V device to Open Flashloader. I've created the .elf file as per the instructions here: wiki.segger.com/Open_Flashloader#Adding_a_New_Device

It seems as though the linking for the Debug configuration is controlled using the sram_placement_riscv.xml file, but the Release configuration uses LinkerFile.lds. This seems odd, as I've had to modify both to suit my memory map.

Having done this, I now get the error

"ERROR: Specified flashloader exceeds max. size of 64 KB. "

when I use JFlash. The code generated is << 64KB (~6KB), but as the device has a harvard architecture, the code and data are in separate segments, widely separated in memory.

Could this separation be the reason for the error message? (i.e. the difference between the lowest and highest address is > 64kB, even though most of it is empty space). And if so, is there any way to solve it?

Thanks.
  • Hi Gravstorm

We calculate the ram usage start and end address with the beginning of the first and the end of the last section in the elf-file.
    If this exceeds 64kB it results in the mentioned error.
    We would recommend to keep your RAM sections for the openflashloader within an overall range of 64kB.

Best regards,
    Sebastian
    Software Engineer
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.