[SOLVED] Segger firmware update killed the debugger

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Segger firmware update killed the debugger

Hi

I have a J link base debugger. Been a while since I used it and plugging USB in prompted for firmware update of the debugger

After that finished, the LED does not come on any more, and windows device manager lists it as "unknown device" (Segger is reputed to be top class, but a firmware update killing the debugger is not very top class)

Any hints how to proceed?

Thanks

Klaus
  • Hi Klaus,
    I assume that the SN of the Probe you are using is the one you registered with?
    If so, it is most likely that you are not using a genuine J-Link but a clone.
    From our database, the J-Link with this SN was already sent back to SEGGER and destroyed one and a half years ago.

To be absolutely sure, could you please send us a photo of the front and the back side of the probe?

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Fabian

Sure, the images is attached

And if they are counterfeit, I have a technician that I need to talk to, to find where he bought it

Anyway, in the meantime I wrote to my SW colleagues, and they have several that I can borrow instead. They are for sure genuine :)

Thanks for your quick response, I guess Segger is top class anyway :)

Regards

Klaus
    Images
    • IMG_20201008_095000_resized_20201008_095045548.jpg

777.69 kB, 1,728×2,304, viewed 435 times
    • IMG_20201008_095009_resized_20201008_095045229.jpg

872.32 kB, 2,304×1,728, viewed 431 times
  • Hi Klaus,
    This is indeed a clone.
    Good to hear that you have other J-Links you can use and therefore that you are not stuck in your work-flow :)

A list of our legitimate distributors can be found here:
    segger.com/purchase/distributors/

Even though I am sure you were not aware that this is a clone,
    I have to point out that the usage of J-Link clones in any context is illegal.

Best regards,
    Fabian

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• I just got the real Seggers from work. They sure have a different feel to them. We have problems at work getting them to function with IAR, so we have plenty not being used. I am using STM32CubeIDE, so I hope they will work for my usecase

Thanks for your help

Regards

Klaus

PS And yes, I know it is illegal with the counterfeit ones, we did not know they were.
  • Hi Klaus,
    Good to hear that you were able to replace it so quickly.

Please let us know if anything does not work as expected.

I will close this thread for now.

Best regards,
    Fabian