[SOLVED] J-Flash 32-bit Bus using External 16-bit NOR Flash

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Flash 32-bit Bus using External 16-bit NOR Flash

J-Flash reports Could not find CFI compliant flash device when Flash device info option enables Automatically detect flash memory.
    1. This is legacy hardware where the MCU = NXP MC9328MXL.
    2. MCU has NO internal SRAM.
    3. Board uses 2 Micron MT48LC64M4A2 16-bit SDRAM. Board wired for 32-bit bus.
    4. Board uses two (2) Spansion S29PL127J 16-bit flash devices. Board wired for 32-bit bus.
    5. J-Flash v6.82 has a bug requiring RAM available for RAMcode even when only task to read flash.
    6. I have successfully configured J-Flash with MCU Init. steps to initialize the external SRAM.
    7. I have successfully configured J-Flash to read the external NOR flash.
    8. I had to trick J-Flash to complete Item 7 disabling Automatically detect flash memory.
    9. I had to trick J-Flash to complete Item 7 by selecting the wrong flash device. Instead of selecting the correct S29PL127J 16MB device, I was forced to use the S29GL256P 32MB device just so J-Flash would use the correct address range.
    My conclusion is that J-Flash does not include an obvious method to change the bus width from 16 to 32 bits. This is necessary for a board layout from 2005 that works without issue and can be programmed by a legacy Atrium ICE (no longer available) without issue in the past. I have been able to use J-Link Commander to perform the following:
    1. Flash Reset
    2. Read Manufacturing ID.
    3. Flash Chip Erase
    To accomplish flash functions, I doubled-up the data being sent to the NOR flash. For example, the 16-bit value for Flash Reset is 0x00F0. The 32-bit value for Flash Reset is 0x00F000F0. It is important to realize the implication here. 32-bit Address zero access the first two address locations of the first chip and the first two address locations of the second chip. Thus for chip 1, 8-bit address locations 0h and 1h are consumed. The same thing is true for the second chip. The 8-bit address locations 2h and 3h, are accessed using 32-bit address 0x00000004.

Any thoughts on how to configure J-Flash so that it understands that there are two 16-bit devices while accessing them using 32-bit address values? The flash bank feature does not appear to support this approach because it expects the address locations to be linear.
  • Hi,
    Sorry for the delay in response.
    Could you please contact us via the support ticket system regarding this?
    You can find the link in my signature below.

From what you say, J-Flash is not behaving correctly. This seems to be a bug.

We will look into this and update this thread as soon as a fixed version is available.

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting: Forum Rules

Keep in mind, this is not a support forum. Its main purpose is user to user interaction.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.