[SOLVED] External built project with SEGGER Linker

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] External built project with SEGGER Linker

Hello,

I have a project built with external gnu tools. Everything works fine, but the "Memory Usage" window does not display usage information.
    I thought it was because I used gcc for linking.
    I modified the project to use a segger linker; but when I set “use_external_gcc” to “Yes”, the builder still calls “gcc” for linking.

Is there a solution to using the segger linker and the external gnu tool chain together?

If there is no other solution, how can I make the "Memory Usage" window work using an external toolchain?

Thanks!
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

tipeter wrote:

Is there a solution to using the segger linker and the external gnu tool chain together?
    Yes. You can specify which tool to use with project options under External Build.
    There you can find Link Command where you can call the SEGGER Linker if you like to.

tipeter wrote:

If there is no other solution, how can I make the "Memory Usage" window work using an external toolchain?
    This is currently not supported. If you want to use all features of Embedded Studio we recommend to use the internal tool chain.
    Especially as since the V5.10 release of Embedded Studio we at SEGGER now provide our own complete tool chain with Compiler, Linker, Run Time Library and many more.
    segger.com/news/segger-embedde…o-v5-minimizes-code-size/

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thanks Nino, but what about the "Stack Usage" window?
    When I use SEGGER toolchain (compiler and linker), "Stack Usage" window is empty.

I'm interested in external toolchains because I want to do some experiments in modern C++ with a reasonably fresh standard library.

What is the exact relationship between the used tools and the functionality of the "Memory Usage" and "Stack Usage" windows?
    I have tried almost all of the combinations (internal gcc and segger toolchains, both of them with/without segger linker; external toolchain), and I'm totally confused.

Can You give an exact answer to this?

Many thanks in advance!
  • Hello,

tipeter wrote:

When I use SEGGER toolchain (compiler and linker), "Stack Usage" window is empty.
    Correct. It is a bug and will be fixed. Sorry for any inconveniences caused.

tipeter wrote:

What is the exact relationship between the used tools and the functionality of the "Memory Usage" and "Stack Usage" windows?
    The data is pulled from intermediate files and/or output files. So if your external toolchain creates the intermediate/output files in the same format and locations as the internal toolchain the windows should work as expected. Currently there are no plans to provide more information about this to the public.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.