[SOLVED] Getting started with J-Link EDU mini

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Getting started with J-Link EDU mini

Hi everyone,

I've purchached the J-Link EDU mini because I needed for flashing the nRF52840 module. I am new here and I need some guidance.
    First of all I suppose that I have to update the firmware on the J-Link isn't it? So, I downloaded the J-Link Software and Documentation pack for Windows (I am windows user) from this page.

Then following this guide I open the J-Link configurator to update the firmware. The problem is that when I connect the J-Link on my PC through USB the build in green LED on J-Link is fast flashing and my PC does not recognize any device and of cource the J-Link configurator sais "No emulators to update."

So, I want to flash my nRF52840 module using the J-Link EDU mini. How should I started?

- Should I update the firmware of J-Link?
    - Could I flash my nRF52840 module using the Segger Embeded Studio or I have to use the J-Flash?
    - Are there any further steps I should follow?

Thanks in advance
    Nick
  • Hi Nick,

As soon as any up-to-date J-Link Software connects to the J-Link,
    you will be asked if you want to update its firmware, if a later firmware is available.
    Updating the Firmware is highly recommended.

Yes, it is possible to flash the device via SEGGER Embedded Studio.

As your J-Link EDU does not seem to enumerate, please follow this troubleshooting guide:
    wiki.segger.com/J-Link_cannot_…the_CPU#J-Link_connection

We see that you registered with your company email, please note that the J-Link EDU and
    J-Link EDU mini are for non-commercial and educational purposes only.
    Using the J-Link EDU mini in a commercial context is illegal:
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…nk-edu-mini/#terms-of-use

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thank you Fabian for you responce,

Following the J-Link connection guide I figured out that I was using (didn't notice) a mini USB cable that was intended for charging only (no data transfer).
    Now everything works fine.

By the way, I've bought the J-Link EDU mini to be familiarized with the J-Link devices (I didn't have any experience in the past) :)

Nick
  • Hi Nick,
    We are glad that you want to try out our products.

Never the less, the J-Link EDU and J-Link EDU mini are under no circumstances to be used in a direct or indirect commercial context.
    They are also not to be used for evaluation purposes.

As already mentioned, using the J-Link EDU or J-Link EDU mini in such a commercial context is illegal.
    We just wanted to inform you to prevent any legal issues.

We recommend using an evaluation board with an on board J-Link for evaluation purposes.
    One example would be the emPower board:
    segger.com/evaluate-our-software/segger/empower/

There are also multiple ST boards that can be re-flashed to use a J-Link OB:
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…j-links/st-link-on-board/

Best regards,
    Fabian

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Nick,
    Good to hear :)

We will close this thread now.

Best regards,
    Fabian