[SOLVED] Headless Install - Nixos installation

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Headless Install - Nixos installation

Hi,

i plan to create an installation package for nixos, because its somehow different to normal linux and i cannot install it in the normal way.
    Its similar to headless install because i only need to extract the files from the installation binary and copy the files to the right directory.

So i tried that with the --copy-files-to command line option with the installer.

When its ready with that, i got the error: "error: Cannot execute command line" and there are no files in my target directory.
    So with strace i found out that the files were extracted to /tmp/raxWLwi8d (random string). No files in my target directory.

The first question is, is this a bug or did i something wrong?

The second question is, why is in /tmp/raxWLwi8d another "QT" Setup ??

thanks
    best regards
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    How did you call the installer exactly? Did you do it with sudo (or whatever Nixos equivalent is)?
    I just gave the headless installer a try under Ubuntu LTS 19.04 and everything was working as expected.

Please note that Embedded Studio is only tested and supported on Ubuntu LTS 12.04-20.04.
    Other versions and Linux distributions might also work but are not officially supported by us.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

i tested in my nix-package and in the commandline as user, sudo and root with:

./install_segger_embedded_studio --copy-files-to /path/to/my/custom/destination/which/is/writable

but it extracts files to /tmp/raxWLwi8d (some qt libraries and Setup) and then runs Setup from this path (this fails in nixos but this is not the problem)

thanks
    best regards
    philipp
  • Hello Phillip,

As I said, Nixos is not officially supported by us so please understand that we can't put more time into this investigation.
    Maybe the Nixos community/support could provide you with information what would be needed here to make the installer work on that platform.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi,

ok yes i understand that you does not offically support nixos. This is fully ok for me. I only wanted to understand why the installer does not extract correctly.

So now i tested in an Ubuntu VM. When i use the extract command it will extract the files as said above to a random /tmp directory. After that it calls Setup. This shows the license information which has to be applied with 'yes'. Only then it starts extracting the 'real' files.

Do you know if its possible in this 'Setup' executable to extract the files seperatly without the license information? So maybe another extract only command line switch?

thanks
    best regards
    philipp
  • Hi Phillip,

The extraction process is working as expected on Nixos as well. But it appears that the setup can't launch correctly. Eventually due to some missing shared library.
    To verify this could you try the following?
    Run the installer manually and see if that gives us any more information. To do this, run the following:

./install_segger_embedded_studio --extract-to dir
    cd dir
    ./Setup --data-file payload.dat --copy-files-to `pwd`/files

Is there a specific reason why you want to skip the license agreement during installation?

Best regards,
    Nino

• Thank you, i will give it a try.

SEGGER - Nino wrote:

Is there a specific reason why you want to skip the license agreement during installation?
    yes, because for automated package install its not useful to wait for user interaction :)

my goal is to have a nixos-package-configuration for my laptop. so if something happens with it, i only have to put nixos on it and use my configuration and everything is working like before (userdata has to be backupped anyways)
    so the reinstallation of my entire workstation including configuration of almost everything will take about 1 hour.
  • Hi,

Thank you for your explanation. I will send you the CL option for this via PM in this forum.

Best regards,
    Nino