[ABANDONED] A new J-Link mini EDU, and a reluctant Arduino Due ARM...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] A new J-Link mini EDU, and a reluctant Arduino Due ARM...

Hello SEGGER, greetings from Wales!

I seem to be having a spot of bother with my recently purchased J-Link mini. No matter what I have tried to do, the J-Link doesn't seem to like my Arduino Due's part, an Atmel ATSAM3X8E. The J-Link finds the correct part, but as can be seen from the trace below, it just won't commune with it, it "Cannot connect to target.", which diagnostic I get on both of the Due's USB ports.

"""
    C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink>jlink
    SEGGER J-Link Commander V6.80e (Compiled Jul 13 2020 19:01:34)
    DLL version V6.80e, compiled Jul 13 2020 19:00:48

Connecting to J-Link via USB...O.K.
    Firmware: J-Link EDU Mini V1 compiled Jun 9 2020 13:36:46
    Hardware version: V1.00
    S/N: 801021561
    License(s): FlashBP, GDB
    VTref=3.299V

Type "connect" to establish a target connection, '?' for help
    J-Link>connect
    Please specify device / core. <Default>: ATSAM3X8E
    Type '?' for selection dialog
    Device>
    Please specify target interface:
    J) JTAG (Default)
    S) SWD
    T) cJTAG
    TIF>
    Device position in JTAG chain (IRPre,DRPre) <Default>: -1,-1 => Auto-detect
    JTAGConf>
    Specify target interface speed [kHz]. <Default>: 4000 kHz
    Speed>
    Device "ATSAM3X8E" selected.

Connecting to target via JTAG
    Could not measure total IR len. TDO is constant high.
    Cannot connect to target.
    J-Link>
    """

Further, Atmel Studio is unhappy too, as it complains with "Error: Error connecting to device over JTAG", which is the same diagnostic reported by Studio when there is no ribbon cable between the J-Link and the target at all!

Unfortunately, I don't have any other parts/cards to test the J-Link with, so the above trace is the best I can manage, for the moment. I hope it helps.

Kind regards, Bill
  • Hi Bill,
    Thank you for your inquiry.

Could you please send us a picture of your hardware setup (with the J-Link connected, connector visible, etc).

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Bill,

Maybe you should select SWD as target interface. As far as I can see the Arduino Due supports SWD only.

Best regards,

Souhail

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi,
    If you made sure, that your cable is indeed correctly connected (that is one reason why I asked for pictures of your setup),
    then the cable is most likely defective.

Could you please measure if all relevant wires of the ribbon cable are connected through?
    For reference which wires are relevant please refer to the following page:
    wiki.segger.com/UM08001_J-Link…-pin_JTAG.2FSWD_connector

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Hello Fabian! Yes, the plugs are in their sockets in the correct manner. I thought that the cable might be the problem, when I removed it during the software testing, only to find the same diagnostics as when the cable was plugged in! I've sent off for some little ribbons, so I can attempt to close off this post later - when they arrive. I would trace through the ribbon signals, but I have no lab stuff these days. Regards, and thanks, Bill
  • Hi Bill,
    Okay.
    Please feel free to come back to us if switching the cables does not resolve the issue.

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Hello, me again. I've been trying to purchase a replacement ribbon cable for my JLink EDU mini, but don't know the ribbon cable's exact specification. I've looked on eBay, but they are chockablock with 2.54 mm pitch 10x10 ribbon cables, which are too big for the JLink mini. Does the JLink mini use 1.27 mm pitch cables I wonder? And if it does, where can I find them? Kind regards, Bill
  • Hi Bill,
    Either you contact your local electronics vendor and ask him for advice (it is a common cable and they should be able to point you in the right direction)
    or you look for a "flat 10 pin ribbon cable" on the internet.

Please understand that we cannot point you to a specific vendor.

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Hi Fabian. I found a 1.27mm pitch ribbon cable on eBay, eventually. Hong Kong! Yes, I'd have thought it a common cable type too, but eBay suggests otherwise. I'll let you know how the experiment of replacing the cable goes. Regards, Bill
  • Hi Fabian. The new 1.27mm pitch cable came from Hong Kong, but it did not clear the problem. I still have "Could not measure total IR len. TDO is constant high." as the JLink.exe error. (The cable is connected as per embeddedcomputing.weebly.com/s…with-arduino-due8203.html - as was the case in the previous test.) If you recall, it was thought at your end that this fault was caused by a cable disconnect, a faulty cable, but I've got the same diagnostic with a second cable, which suggests a fault elsewhere, doesn't it? Bill
  • Hi Bill,
    What my colleague Souhail said still applies:
    You are supposed to connect to the board via SWD.
    Does it now work with SWD?

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Connecting to target via SWD
    Cannot connect to target.

Hi Fabian.

Regards from Wales. As you can see from the above, the JLink still doesn't want to play ball, even with SWD. I've looked at the pinout for the Arduino Due board, and the SWD pins have a different pitch, the JTAG female ribbon being the wrong connector for them. Indeed, the Atmel part ATSAM3X8E does support SWD, but it also supports JTAG too - your colleague is in fact correct on that point.

This is at once perplexing, and annoying, as I had to send off to Hong Kong for test ribbon cables. What to do, as the JLink seems to be JTAG native?

Bill
  • Hi Fabian. This is all getting a bit too complex for a simple log of messages, so I've itemised the things done so far:

. tested with JLink.exe as JTAG - "Could not measure total IR len. TDO is constant high."
    . tested with JLink.exe as SWD - "Cannot connect to target."
    . tested with JLink.exe disconnected - "Cannot connect to target."
    . above tests with new ribbon cable - same results

What can not be tested at the moment is the functioning of the target itself. For this reason I have ordered something to test the target's SWD, to check the ARM's data paths. If that route proves to be open, and SWD works, then the J-Link mini is called into question.

I'll let you know how things go.

Bill
  • Hi Bill,
    On our side everything works fine with the ATSAM3X8H and the J-Link EDU mini (tested on SAM3X-EK Rev.B):

Therefore we suspect that the issue is related to the board design/setup.
    We have ordered the Arduino board and will test this as soon as it arrives.
    We will keep you up to date.

J-Link supports a huge amount of probes, the ATSAM3X8E among them:
    segger.com/downloads/supported-devices.php
    Again: No issue is known regarding the ATSAM3X-family.

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Hi Bill,
    update:
    We received the Arduino DUE board and everything works as expected.

We would suggest that you check you wiring again, to make sure there are no issues with it.

Do you have any other evaluation board you can test the connection of the J-Link EDU mini on?
    Could you please send us a photo of your wiring?

Best regards,
    Fabian