[SOLVED] Debugging in Embedded Studio vs. Ozone

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Debugging in Embedded Studio vs. Ozone

Hi,

what are the differences between the debugger in Embedded Studio and the Ozone debugger?

Is there a difference in CPU support, i.e. the STM32G4 family?

Do both support realtime variable view? Is there a difference in the update rate?

Do both support writing to variables while the program is running?

TIA,

Oliver

The post was edited 1 time, last by obetz ().

• Hi Oliver,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    The only difference is that some advanced debug features are a bit different (tracing) and that Ozone can debug nearly and elf file format while ES supports the formats that the toolchain produces that it comes with.
    All other basic debug features should be the same.

The biggest advantage of ES is that it comes with a complete toolchain so from project management to building the application and then debug it all is in one solution where Ozone is "just" a debugger (but a very good one ;) ) that takes the output from another toolchain.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino,

thanks for your reply.

I'm still most interested whether I can write (watched) variables without stopping the program in Ozone and ES.

And is there a difference in CPU support? As far as I see, there are two levels:
    1. Being able to connect to the CPU, load a binary to flash memory and do general debugging.
    2. Symbolic access to the derivative peripheral registers. That's kind of a luxury feature but can be very useful during development.

Oliver
  • Hello Oliver,

obetz wrote:

I'm still most interested whether I can write (watched) variables without stopping the program in Ozone and ES.
    In short, yes in both cases. On Cortex-M targets this works as it is an architecture feature which our debug probes (J-Link, J-Trace etc.) implement. The debuggers in ES and Ozone simply access that functionality.
    If you are using other core types or architecture (Cortex-A, RISCV etc.) it depends on if the target device supports background memory access.

1: All devices listed on our website are supported by both ES and Ozone as they both are using the same J-Link software:
    segger.com/downloads/supported-devices.php
    For all these targets general debugging, connecting and RAM download is supported. Flash download depends on the implementation and is listed in the "Supported flash types" row.

2: I assume you mean our CPU Support packages. A list of the available ones can be found here: segger.com/products/developmen…o/technology/cpu-support/
    This is however only available for Embedded Studio as Ozone is only a debugger and could not compile such packages. But if the application output file contains such sources you can of course debug it with Ozone as well.

The next advanced support package for Embedded Studio would be a BSP (Board Support Package) that incorporates board specific drivers (display, Ethernet etc.) which are driven by our embedded software products. These can be also accessed via our package manager and are licensed under the ES PRO license:
    segger.com/products/developmen…io/editions/pro-cortex-m/

Best regards,

Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.