[SOLVED] [FRDM-KE15Z] Jlink disabling Wdog operation issue

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] [FRDM-KE15Z] Jlink disabling Wdog operation issue

Hello,

After using Jlink Plus to download the program to the FRDM-KE15Z board, it was found that 0x40052000(WDOG_CS) was set to 0x400, which is unreasonable, because it makes the code unable to reconfigure the wdog unless resetting the MCU.

Reproduce Steps:

1. Download the latest FRDM-KE15Z SDK software package on the NXP official website: mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/welcome
    2. Use the Jlink downloader to download the hello_world project to the frdmke15z board.
    3. Open the Jlink.exe window and connect to the frdmke15z board

4. Input command: halt , then input command: mem32 0x40052000 1

We can see that the value of 0x4005200(WDOG_CS) is 0x400, which is unreasonable, because it makes the code unable to reconfigure the wdog unless resetting the MCU. WDOG_CS[UPDATE] should be set to 1.
    The default value of WDOG_CS is 0x2980.

Could you help me look this problem?

Best Regards,
    Zeliang
  • Hi Zeilang,
    Thank you for your inquiry.

Could you please provide us with the value of WDOG_CS when the target is not halted (follow your reproduction steps but without halting the target)?

Could you please send us a J-Link log file? How to enable:
    wiki.segger.com/J-Link_DLL#Enable_J-Link_Log_File

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Fabian.
    Thank you for your prompt reply.

When the target is not halted (following the replication steps, but the target is not stopped), the value of WDOG_CS is still 0x400.

The attachment of the J-Link log file is as follows:
    JLink.log

Best Regards,
    Zeliang
  • Hi Zelian,
    I just checked on that.
    The behavior is intended.

Disabling the watch dog is required to debug this device. Not doing so can lead to problems for the debug session.
    The WDOG is not supposed to be active while debugging.

Does this answer your question?

Best regards,
    Fabian

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Fabian,

This can't answer my question.

I want to say that when JLINK disabling watch dog, WDOG_CS[UPDATE] should be set to 1.
    We will not be able to reconfigure wdog directly unless we reset MCU.

What do you think of this question?

Best Regards,
    Zeliang
  • Hi Zeliang,
    We are looking into this as soon as possible.
    I will keep you posted.

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Hi Zelian,
    I sent you a link to a preliminary version which does write the UPDATE bit to 1 via private message.

Could you try if everything works as expected with this version?

Please do not share this file with any third parties. The file is provided as-is without claim for support.

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Hi Zeliang,
    I sent it to you inside of this forum as a private message.
    You can access it via the "Conversations" button on the most top of this page.

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Hi Zeliang,
    There is no need to replace any files. The files I sent you are supposed to work out of the box, and they do on my side.

Does it work if you do not copy any files but just extract them to a separate folder and start the JLink.exe?
    Since the watchdog disabling is part of the connect sequence, it should be enough to connect to the power-cycled device and read the WDOG register.
    It should then show the expected value.

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Hi Zeliang,
    It is part of the last Release, V6.80 available for download here.
    DLL: "MKE15Z device family: When connecting with J-Link, the Watchdog was disabled without configuring it configurable for some devices. Fixed."

All changes can be found in the release notes here:
    segger.com/downloads/jlink/ReleaseNotes_JLink.html

Stay up-to-date regarding J-Link:
    segger.com/notification/subscribe.php?prodid=7,94

We will consider this thread as closed now.

Best regards,
    Fabian