[SOLVED] JLinkExe unwanted GUI

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• JLinkExe unwanted GUI

In the new version what previously was only command line / console is now seems by default invokes some JLink GUI server and causes unwanted Window popups.

What is the proper way to disable this behavior, and keep to the old proper console only app as it always was?

The only non-proper - as I see, because you modifying install - option is to remove all execute permissions on that GUI Server app.
  • [SOLVED] JLinkExe unwanted GUI

The GUI constantly interferes with operation - starting with asking to update firmware.

Passing exec SuppressControlPanel doesn't work; Requires to further pass exec SupressInfoUpdateFW.

One would hope that, passing above two, and then doing exec SilentUpdateFW, would avoid the GUI , but NO. .. While updating it yet another dialog pops up with progress...

How to avoid all these windows ..?
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your inquiry.
    We are looking into this.

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,
    We were not able to reproduce this.

What we did:
    - Start J-Link Commander V6.72 (without J-Link connected)
    - Connect J-Link to the host machine
    - Issue following commands:

Source Code

1. exec SilentUpdateFW
    2. exec SuppressInfoUpdateFW
    3. exec SuppressControlPanel
    The last command also makes the J-Link Commander connect to the J-Link.

A silent firmware update was issued and no progress-bars popped up.

Also commands like "loadfile" and "erase" did not produce any GUI element.

Systems tested:

-Windows 7

-Ubuntu 18.04 (LTS)

Did you do the exact same thing?

If not what exactly did you do differently?

Best regards,
    Fabian

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Because this was new JLink software, on the first JLinkExe run immediately FW update dialog popped up, which thus started this thread.
    I immediately killed the app, and starting looking into how I can avoid these dialogs.

My setup is Linux x86_64 (Fedora based).

Thus the first thing I want: how to suppress this update dialog _immediately_ before you can do anything else - that is, before it (JLink) even thinks to pop-up anything. Thus I tried to pass this as commands to be executed - on startup.

Shell-Script

1. echo -e "exec SupressInfoUpdateFW\nexec SuppressControlPanel" > "/tmp/.jlinkstart"
    2. JLinkExe -commandfile "$jlinkstartfile" "/tmp/.jlinkstart"
    That would at least suppress initial dialog, BUT, it also suppresses the check for firmware update ? (Why...? Why do I need a GUI dialog to check my firmware version?) How can I check within JLinkExe command shell inside, if firmware needs to be udpated, without GUI?

Secondly, I replaced SupressInfoUpdateFW - as Ideally i do want to update - with SilentUpdateFW, in the above command line. Then I got immediately another un-wanted behavior as i originally wrote: that, the dialog / progress bar window pop-up appeared showing me the progress. I do not want this, at all.

Not only that this progress bar in window is unnecessary - JlinkExe previously was working absolutely fine without this - it has problems to actually performing update correctly fully: after initial firmware updated, JLink seems gets re-set (I'm assuming), and drops out from USB connection and is suppose to reconnect. On my system, this dialog cannot handle this properly : after the JLink drops out , gets dropped back, the GUI window gets confused and tells me something along the lines update failed , or in bootloader mode, and basically bails - cannot proceed further. This is not a sane behavior by any means, it broke my JLink smooth usage.
    But ignore that udpate window entirely - i know I can update as before if I just don't use it (as I wrote, I can prevent your GUI server from running, and then JLinkExe will "fix" broken update for me smoothly).

Could you PLEASE, please revert to a more sensible version of your _command_ line version of JLinkExe where one does not even have to set any flag to begin with to make it work as before? Could you make this the default, and rather add "-gui" flag to it? Or , add "-nogui" as you seems have on GDBServer?

SEGGER - Fabian wrote:

- Start J-Link Commander V6.72 (without J-Link connected)

Is this a new requirement, that you _have_ to start it without J-Link connected? I never for years did this before, as my JLink is connected before I start doing any work. Again, if this is new, I would rather you roll back to old method.
    For test, start with Jlink connected, Then start your JlinkExe
  • Hi,

The J-Link Commander has never been a pure command line utility. It had GUI elements since day one.
    The only thing that changed is that we added GUI support for Linux, which was only available on Windows before.
    Nothing about how a J-Link FW Update is performed has changed.
    The only thing that was added is GUI support, which is independent from the logic "behind the scenes", e.g. the FW update.

I just discussed this internally. Result:
    a) We will not change the current behavior.
    b) We will add a "-nogui" command in our next release.

Best regards,
    Fabian

• SEGGER - Fabian wrote:

The only thing that changed is that we added GUI support for Linux, ...

b) We will add a "-nogui" command in our next release.

But this sounds excellent. Thank you

So as to set a reminder to upgrade : which release number / version will be next ?

(Btw, Linux is what all embedded sw dev work must be on ^__^ )
  • Hi,
    The feature will be part of the next beta release planned for Friday.

I will send you a link with a preliminary version for testing purposes via PM.
    Please do not share this Version with any third parties. The file is provided as-is without claim for support.

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Hi,
    Yes, all license dialogs will be shown.
    This is intended and there are no plans to change this behavior for now.

We will consider this thread as closed now.

Best regards,
    Fabian