[SOLVED] J-Trace CM via USB-Hub

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Trace CM via USB-Hub

Hello,

I have a J-Trace CM (S/N: 203200738) and when it’s connect directly to my laptop (Thinkpad T590 with Windows 10) the device is useable (Power-Led and USB-Led steady green) [directly-connected.png]

But when I connect via an USB-Hub (e.g. Aukey USB C Hub Ultra Slim USB C Adapter) the device is not useable (Power-Led steady green and USB-Led flashing green) [usb-hub.png, not-directly-connected.png]

Additionally it’s also not possible to update the driver [no-driver-update.png]

Is there a workaround for this? Can I use the J-Trace via an USB Hub at all? Can you recommend an USB Hub?

Thanks for the help.
    Images
    • directly-connected.png

55.59 kB, 781×572, viewed 396 times
    • usb-hub.png

88.74 kB, 1,073×221, viewed 329 times
    • not-directly-connected.png

53.82 kB, 781×572, viewed 360 times
    • no-driver-update.png

9.37 kB, 397×227, viewed 341 times
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your inquiry.

Yes, the J-Trace works when connected to a hub.
    We also do not recommend a particular hub, as essentially all hubs have some kind of downside.
    So it depends on what suits you the most.
    Therefore we recommend working without a hub for this reason, wherever possible.

You will have to choose a hub which is able to supply the J-Trace with enough power to work.
    The J-Trace CM can draw up to 400 mA.
    Looking at the specification of the hub you are using shows that it can supply a maximum of 0,9A, which is split to all slots:
    shop.aukey.com/collections/auk…4-port-usb-3-0-type-c-hub
    Unfortunately, 225 mA is definitively not enough power.

In general:
    If you cannot go without a hub, it is recommended to use an externally powered one, since it usually provides more power.
    To be sure, please check the datasheet of the corresponding USB hub (ideally on the manufacturers page).

Do you have any further questions?

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Toba,
    Since you do not have any further, related questions, we will consider this thread as closed now.

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.