[SOLVED] Installing SEGGER Embedded Studio

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Installing SEGGER Embedded Studio

I am new to forum and SES. I have just installed the SES and got it working to Kinetis KwikStik K40 board.....doing minor things.????
    My PC is windows 10 intel I5 with 100GB SSD Cdrive for windows etc and also have a 1TB hard drive D: for other programs and data. I try to install most on D: so as to leave as much space on C: as possible. When installin SES I got the option to install the program in a folder on D: OK but I see a lot of the other stuff including Projects, solutions, and samples are installed in the C:/Users/user/AppData/Local etc....several hundred MB. So will all my projects and data install in here...OR did I miss something in the setup....OR … can I move it and set it up elsewhere.???
    The first "Hello" project that was part of install was saved to the D drive in a folder SEGGER but all other were installed in AppData and all edits happen to the files in AppData..???
    Also I notice all projects are grouped within solutions....Is that always the case OR can Projects be individual..??
    Would be grateful for some guidance please......Thanks
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    The data saved in Appdata is optional and consists usually of CPU support packages. If you don't want to use them you can deinstall them over the package manager and save some space.
    This is on a fixed location on C as we need a guarantee that this path is always valid which is the case for all Windows installations.

If you create a new project however you can place it where every you want it to be and all needed files will be copied to the correct location. So if you create a new project with a CPU support package in a folder on D:, all needed files will then be in that folder under D: and nothing will be referenced from C:
    The files that are reference from C in the Hello World examples are only examples to quickly try out Embedded Studio with your target device but they are not recommended to build your project on top of that.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thanks for reply. So as far as I can see the samples I downloaded are in appdata along with settings files...??? I cannot see where I can re-install them to a new location from within package manager. I could install a new version to a new location, but how do I delete the ones already in appdata. In Project Explorer I can delete all the sample projects from view within the solution, but how do I delete the solution itself. Also the files are still in appdata folder on disk although deleted from view in Project Explorer..... how can I get them back in Project explorer....It tells me they are already loaded..??
    Regards

PS....I can use Package manager to uninstall the package data that is in appData...but then if I create a new project I have to pick from the list of packages and that downloads them again..?? Regards solutions it seems solutions are really projects so if I want to create a new separate project, if I create a new solution and then add a project to it I have a project all on its own...?? Also to open another existing project, I go to open solution and then I pick the project I want and it opens in its solution...?? Regards creating projects to whatever location, I have to pick from the file menu, that way I get the option to select is it a project in an existing solution or is it a new project in a new solution and only then do I get the option to put in names and location details.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Regseg2 ().

• Hello,

I think there is a misunderstanding here.
    You don't have to use the CPU support packages. They are simply helpers that provide you with the CMSIS files for your target device. If you don't want/need them, don't install the package. Then they will not be installed to AppData.
    To create a bare metal project without the packages simply select File->New Project->Create Project in a new Solution->A C/C++ executable for a Cortex-M processor... (if you are using a Cortex-M, for others see the other options there)->Set a project name and the location->Next->Select Device->Next->Next->Next->Finish

Now you have a project that works without the CPU support Packages and is standalone at the location you picked.

You can do the same procedure but with the packages. However this time the reference CMSIS sources are installed in your APPDATA folder. When you create a new solution the needed CMSIS files will be copied over to the new location. So you still have the original reference data in the APPDATA folder for future projects and a fresh copy in your new solution location which you can edit as you please.

Is the concept clear now?

The installation path for the packages can't be changed as we have to make sure that the folder exists.

For more information on how to create projects and how to use Embedded Studio see the Embedded Studio manual and our website:
    segger.com/products/development-tools/embedded-studio/
    On the website at the bottom are also videos showing how to get started with Embedded Studio.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Yes misunderstanding and lack of direction. There is a lot of detailed information on the Segger web pages describing systems in general, and youtube videos giving basically how to manipulate your was around the software. Difficulty in finding simple examples using simple interfaces with the MCU or dev boards. Where is there a complete list of header library files. Regards CMSIS where are all the header files etc. When I use Arduino etc I can look through the library folders an pick header file for say serial, SDcard, GPIO, LCD display etc....is there similar for segger…??
  • Hello,

There is a difference between CPU support packages and Board support packages.
    The CPU packages are based on CMSIS and give you all essential files to get started with the CPU.
    Peripherals however are board dependent and as we can't guess what peripherals a customer uses or how it is connected to the MCU these are not part of CPU packages but BSPs (Board support packages) which are based on the CPU support packages and tailored for a specific eval board. There you will also find all our embedded software components as well as drivers for a particular eval board.

You can find BSPs in our ES PRO offering:
    segger.com/products/developmen…io/editions/pro-cortex-m/

Which boards are already available you can see in the package manager.

You can also purchase our software components separately:
    segger.com/products/rtos-embedded-software/

Depending on the offering you chose you can also get startprojects for your custom board.

Another way to get started with our embedded software components and Embedded Studio are our evaluation packages:

segger.com/evaluate-our-software/

These are similar to the ES PRO packages but also available for other IDEs.

Best regards,

Nino