[SOLVED] [Embedded Studio] Cortex-M simulator : Anyway to exchange data between running code under Simulator and the host machine?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] [Embedded Studio] Cortex-M simulator : Anyway to exchange data between running code under Simulator and the host machine?

Dear Segger Support Team,

Lastly I installed Embedded Studio for Nordic Semiconductor Chip Development...

Meanwhile I discovered that EmStudio embeds a Cortex-M simulator : This is a really interesting point for me regarding another background project...

- From where should I start regarding the simulator documentation (not just to have a superfical view of it but deeper)

- One very important requirement is that I would need to exchange data between the code running writtent in C/C++ under the CortexM simulator and another code written in C/C++/python running in the host computer (e.g. through socket ,etc.)?

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Thierry Lamotte
  • Hello Thierry,

Thank you for your inquiry.

ThL wrote:

- From where should I start regarding the simulator documentation (not just to have a superfical view of it but deeper)
    What do you mean by that? The ES simulator simulates all instruction sets that are supported by the corresponding ES version.
    All you need to do is switch the Target Interface in project options to simulator and you are up and running.
    Keep in mind that this only simulates the core without any peripherals and external hardware due to obvious reasons.

ThL wrote:

One very important requirement is that I would need to exchange data between the code running writtent in C/C++ under the CortexM simulator and another code written in C/C++/python running in the host computer (e.g. through socket ,etc.)?
    You can do this by using SEGGER RTT:
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…about-real-time-transfer/

This features a I/O interface between your target and J-Link (but works also with simulator).
    To use this with simulator you can use the Debug Terminal of Embedded Studio.
    For more information about the usage of RTT see J-Link manual UM08001.

Best regards
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.