JFlash programs serial number when "Program serial number" checkbox is disabled

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• JFlash programs serial number when "Program serial number" checkbox is disabled

Hello

I'm using SEGGER JFLASH V6.62d, Flasher Portable Plus and a microcontroller from Renesas (S3A6).

When I activate the "Program serial number" checkbox, the serial number 133 (0x84) is written correctly at address 0x40100080. I can verify this by running the command "Read back --> Entire chip".

After that, I perform a complete erasure of the memory with "Erase chip (F4)". The entire memory is written with 0xff, including address 0x40100080.

Then, I uncheck the "Program serial number" checkbox to prevent the serial number from being written this time. But, when I program and read back again, the address 0x40100080 has the value 133 (0x84) again.

Why is this happening?

Regards.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hardwariano ().

• Hi,
      Thank you for your inquiry.
      Such an issue is not known to us.

Could you please send us a J-Link log file? How to enable:
      wiki.segger.com/J-Link_DLL#Enable_J-Link_Log_File
      Could you please provide us with your J-Flash project file?

Best regards,
      Fabian
      Please read the forum rules before posting: Forum Rules

Keep in mind, this is not a support forum. Its main purpose is user to user interaction.
      Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
      Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
    • Hello Fabian,

I have attached four files:
      1) Log j-flash (Complete process).txt --> It Includes all readings, writings and deletions
      2) Log j-link (SN checked).txt --> It only includes the Production Programming (F7) process when Serial Number checkbox y checked.
      3) Log j-link (SN unchecked).txt --> It only includes the Production Programming (F7) process when Serial Number checkbox y UNchecked.
      4) Serial number data flash.jflash --> j-Flash project file

Log j-link (SN checked).log
      Serial number data flash.jflash
      Log j-link (SN unchecked).log
      Log j-flash (Complete process).log
    • Hello Fabian

Hardwariano wrote:

Then, I uncheck the "Program serial number" checkbox to prevent the serial number from being written this time. But, when I program and read back again, the address 0x40100080 has the value 133 (0x84) again.

I solved the problem by simply deleting the "..._Serial.txt" file that was previously generated by JFLASH.
      It seems that, if present, JFLASH always reads the "..._Serial.txt", regardless of the "Program serial number" checkbox status.

Is this the correct behavior of the program? I think that the "..._Serial.txt" file should be ignored if the checkbox status is false.

Regards
    • Hi,
      Does this issue still persist with the newest beta release:
      segger.com/downloads/jlink/#J-…eAndDocumentationPackBeta

Best regards,
      Fabian
      Please read the forum rules before posting: Forum Rules

Keep in mind, this is not a support forum. Its main purpose is user to user interaction.
      Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
      Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
    • Hi again

SEGGER - Fabian wrote:

Does this issue still persist with the newest beta release:
      The behavior is not exactly the same.
      ## If I mark the SN checkbox, JFLASH programs the SN well, but it sometimes says that it can't find the "...SNList.txt" (see attached image).

## If I don't mark the checkbox, there are 2 possible behaviors:
      1) If I never mark the checkbox --> The ".srec" file is not updated with the SN and it is not saved in flash memory, regardless of the "...Serial.txt" file exists or not.

2) If I mark the checkbox --> do some SN programming --> deselect the checkbox --> do more programming --> The last serial number is burnt in memory from that moment on.
      I noticed that the related loaded ".srec" file memory area was updated whit the SN when when programming the first time. However that area is not cleared when programming the second time (see attached image).

I hope I've explained it well.

Regards

EDIT: The same behavior with J-FLASH V6.70.

I've also found another issue: I want to change the next SN from 100 to 150, so I go to the textbox in "options-->project settings-->production-->next SN". Now, I program my device and J-FLASH burns SN=101 instead of 150. I think this is happening because the "...Serial.txt" file has the value 101 previously stored. Does J-FLASH prioritize the file over the project settings?
      Images
      • SNLIST.png

14.9 kB, 729×178, viewed 15 times
      • Area memory.png

29.9 kB, 675×578, viewed 16 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hardwariano ().