[ABANDONED] How to Stop RTT Communication Attempts After USB Disconnected

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] How to Stop RTT Communication Attempts After USB Disconnected

I'm using J-Link RTT on a Nucleo F429ZI on-board debugger. When I unplug the USB connection from the debugger, my debugger continues to try communicating (as the LED on my debugger continues to blink). I'm wondering if there's anyway I can detect that the USB has been disconnected from the J-Link RTT debugger, to stop any farther attempts to transmit or receive through the RTT, until a connection has been re-established. I'm wondering if there's any recommended way of doing this? Whether I would just count the consecutive errors from SEGGER_RTT_printf() functions or if there is a better way of doing this.
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your inquiry.
    We are not entirely sure if we understand you correctly.
    What exactly are you trying to achieve?

From what we understand you do the following:
    1. Nucleo board is connected via onboard J-Link to a PC and at the same time you are powering the board externally as well.
    2. Then you cut the connection between PC and J-Link.
    Correct?

In general:
    J-Link side:
    As soon as the connection between J-Link and PC is cut, the J-Link enters the enumeration mode (waiting for a PC to enumerate the J-Link), so in this time no RTT Data is read or sent via the J-Link.
    Target side:
    What happens on target side depends on the channel buffer configuration.
    For more information about channel buffer configuration, please refer to the J-Link User Manual (UM08001), Chapter: 16.4.2.2 Channel buffer configuration.

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.