[SOLVED] Ozone - J-Link EDU DWT data logger with correct timestamps

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Ozone - J-Link EDU DWT data logger with correct timestamps

Hi!

I'm learning embedded software development on STM32 platform.
    In most of my projects I usine Embedded Studio and Atollic TrueStudio (or STM32CubeIde which is its successor) software alternately.
    I like Embedded Studio and I would like to make the move permanently.
    My one problem is: it's seems that TrueStudio's SWV capabilities more "accurate" than EMStudio's similar functions.

In TrueStudio when I set some DWT data logging for example to memory write events, I get accurate timestamps.
    In Embedded Studio or in Ozone I can't be able to do the same.
    In the Ozone Data Graph, I only receive data that is sampled at regular intervals.

For example, how do I get DTW memory write events with a time stamp to accurately measure the time in the code?

My hardware:
    NUCLEO-F429ZI (stm32F429zi-based board) reflashed to J-Link debugger
    J-Link EDU

Thanks!
  • Hello,

Since this is a very important feature for me primarily for learning purposes, it would be great if someone could help me.
    What technology used in Ozone's Data Graph? RTT or ITM-DWT?
    Unfortunately I completly confused in this theme.
    The attached image shows the function I am looking for in Ozone.

I captured this screenshot from STM32CubeIDe, but the same function also can be found in IAR Embedded Workbench.

It uses the 4 hardware data breakpoints in Cortex-M4.
    Where is this feature in Ozone / Embedded Studio? Or how can I achieve similar functionality?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Images
    • data_trace.png

55.37 kB, 881×527, viewed 384 times
    • IAR_SWO.PNG

75.34 kB, 799×464, viewed 403 times
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

tipeter wrote:

For example, how do I get DTW memory write events with a time stamp to accurately measure the time in the code?
    Currently this is not available ES or Ozone.
    As you correctly found out you can do periodic PC sampling in Embedded Studio via SWV.
    We will add this as a feature request to our feature wish list but currently can't make promises when this will be available in Embedded Studio and Ozone.

tipeter wrote:

What technology used in Ozone's Data Graph? RTT or ITM-DWT?
    Ozone uses neither. It is HSS in fact which is a asynchronous memory read via the debug interface.
    For more information see here:
    segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/tools/j-scope/

One more thing. We noticed that you registered with a Company name but are using a J-Link EDU.
    Please note that the J-Link EDU may only be used for private or educational purposes.
    Any commercial context is a license violation and illegal.
    See here for more details:
    segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/models/j-link-edu/

Best regards,

Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello,

Thanks for the answer!
    It was really great help, so it is easier to understand why I did not find this option in the programs :)

You are absolutely right, I did indeed enter my company name during the registration process.
    However, this was because I misunderstood the form. The company is my daytime job, but I am pursuing microcontroller development as my personal hobby.
    My company works in a completely different profile: automotive panoramic roof systems, luggage cover systems. And I'm a machine security expert :)
    This is why I'm registered with my personal email address.

Thanks again!