[SOLVED] J-Link EDU Mini incorrect device target (Atmel SAML10E15A)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Link EDU Mini incorrect device target (Atmel SAML10E15A)

I'm working on a breakout board for the Atmel SAML10E15A IC.

I've gotten to the point, using Atmel Studio 7, that I can read the target voltage and device signature. When I go to try programming the chip with a simple blink program I get an error saying that I the programmer was unable to reset the IC. I've double checked the reset line and it's pulled up to 3.3V. I first had a 10K pull-up (really excessive) then I changed to 1K then to 330 then to floating with no avail.

At this point I open the programmer settings and notice that the target device was the Atmel SAML11E15A. The browser tools won't let me adjust the target device and save the settings.

I've spent 3 working days of time narrowing down the issue. Is my programmer the issue? Or am I over-looking something else?

I'm happy to provide more details when asked. I'm not at my work computer at the current moment. Thank you in advance.
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your inquiry.

Could you please elaborate what kind of work you are using the J-Link EDU Mini for?
    I am asking because you are talking about working days and it is illegal to use the J-Link EDU Mini in a commercial context.
    You can read up on this here (Licensing and support/Terms of use):
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…k/models/j-link-edu-mini/
    The TOS should also pop up at least once a day when using the J-Link EDU Mini.

Regarding your question:
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    Could you please provide us with your exact setup?
    Where exactly are you trying to change the device name?
    Does this problem also persist when using an evaluation board?

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thank you Fabian,

This project is purely educational. When I say working hours I'm meaning time spent sitting and working on this project. I've been 'working' on this project for well over 2 weeks, but I'm doing it either at home or on my lunch breaks at work. It is completely unrelated to my job or any responsibilities.

I'm 90% certain the error is between the keyboard and my chair, me. Either way I'm just trying to wade through the weeds as some of this is brand new to me.

I start with checking the settings in Device Programming tool (pictured: jlink_deviceProgramming.png). I can read the target voltage, device signature, and the fuses read successfully too. I close out and try to run "Start without Debugging" after I run the Build tool (successful build). I then get a popup window saying "Jlink Device Override". "Device type is overridden in Jlink configuration settings to "ATSAML11E15A" (pictured: jlink_deviceOverride.png).

I'm trying to change the device in the Jlink Control Panel (pictured: jlink_controlWindow.png).

I don't have an evaluation board. I thought about getting one, but decided against it. I'll look back into possibly grabbing one. However, do you have any ideas I could try in the meantime?
    Images
    • jlink_deviceProgramming.png

41.2 kB, 761×608, viewed 356 times
    • jlink_deviceOverride.png

12.16 kB, 533×199, viewed 344 times
    • jlink_controlWindow.png

115.41 kB, 1,126×476, viewed 395 times
  • Hi,
    Thank you for the clarification.
    Please understand that we are instructed to make sure that the J-Link is not used in a commercial context.
    Since it is not in your case, everything is fine of course.

When using an IDE (e.g. Atmel Studio) the target name is specified inside of the IDE.
    If you want to change the target device, you are supposed to change it inside of the IDE.
    There should be an option in the Atmel Studio IDE to do so.

Does everything work as expected when doing it this way?

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.