[SOLVED] Unable to flash an external Flash SST39VF3201C (jlink plus + jflash + LPC1788 + SST39vf3201c)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Unable to flash an external Flash SST39VF3201C (jlink plus + jflash + LPC1788 + SST39vf3201c)

Hi,

I'm trying to flash an external flash (Norflash sst39vf3201C) with Jlink Plus and Jflash but it always return the same error:

- ERROR: Programming failed @ address 0x9000000 (item verification error)

I recently noticed that the Norflash fitted on the board is the SST39VF3201C, and not the one that I had selected in Jflash: SST39VF3201. However, SST39VF3201C is not supported by Jflash, at least it doesn't appear in the list of flashs.

Looking at the datasheet of this SST39VF3201C, the device's ID(BF235F) is different than the SST39VF3201 (BF235B). I tried to untick the option to check the manufacturer and device ID but the problem still there.

Is there any way to modify the manufacturer ID or add a new flash chip manually? would it be possible to add this version of the chip in future versions of the SW? The norflash I have fitted on my board should be the same as the one listed by Jflash as this one is just the new version of a chip that is on it's end end of life.

Let me know if you need more information. Thanks in advance :) . Kind Regards

Álvaro.
  • Hi Álvaro,
    Thank you for your inquiry.

From what I understand, you are trying to write the external flash via the on chip memory controller. Is that correct?
    Regarding the datasheet, the memory controller lists external memory from 0x8000 0000 on-wards (in 0x1000 0000 steps) with a size of 64MByte for each.
    Since the external flash you are trying to write data to is 4 MByte in size (32MBit), it is probably places at 0x8000 0000, so there is most likely no flash at 0x9000 0000.

Please make sure that all flash bank areas that are not connected to any flash are disabled.
    You can do this in Options->Project Settings...->Tab "Flash".

Does this answer your question?

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Fabian,
    Thanks for your response.

That's right, I am trying to write the external flash via the LPC1788.

I forgot to say that the base address is at 0x9000 0000 because on my board this external memory is connected to the chip select 1 (#emc_cs1, P4[31]), and looking at the user manual of the LPC1788 chip selector 1 starts at 0x9000 0000.

I tried to disable all the blank areas but I still receive the same error.

Thanks in advance. Kind Regards.

Álvaro.
  • Hi Álvaro,

Could you please send us a J-Link log file? How to enable:
    wiki.segger.com/J-Link_DLL#Enable_J-Link_Log_File

Best regards,
    Fabian

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Fabian,

I was looking for old threads in this forum related with the SST39VF3201/C and I found some of them reporting a similar issue. In one of these threads, one of your colleagues, Alex, says that this chip is not a CFI compliant, although what I understand from the datasheet is that the model of norflash I am using is CFI compliant, (as well as the SST39VF3201).

Here the thread I am talking about:
    forum.segger.com/index.php/Thr…ight=sst39vf3201#post3460

Apart of the board that we are developing, I have an evaluation board with the same proccesor LPC1788 and the norflash SST39VF3201, starting from the address 0x8000 0000 (#emc_cs0, P4[30]). I can load a hex file in to the internal flash of the LPC1788 but I receive the same error message when I tried to load the external flash (- ERROR: Programming failed @ address 0x80000000 (item verification error))

Something that I think I didn't mention before and it makes me more confused is that using J-mem I can read the data already loaded in the external flash (in both boards), so I understand that there is a communication between the J-link and the norflash. This makes me think that this norflash is really CFI compliant, am I right with this conclusion?

What do you think? Can you confirm me if this model of external flash is or not CFI compliant?

I created a support ticket asking to include the SST39VF3201C in J-flash to see if it works when JFlash communicates with the Norflash using it's device ID.

I await for your answers.

Kind regards.

A.
  • Hi Álvaro,
    Sorry for the delay in response. Busy times...

The chip you are trying to program is a serial, cfi compliant chip.
    There are some extra steps needed to make this work.
    You can find information about how to do this here:
    wiki.segger.com/CFI_Flash
    And in the J-Link User Manual (UM08001).

Could you please try this and tell us if it worked?

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Hi Álvaro,
    Inside of the J-Flash "Project settings" (Project settings > MCU > Use J-Link script file).

Do you have any further questions?

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Hi Álvaro,
    Good to hear that you are up and running again.

We will consider this case as closed now.

Best regards,
    Fabian