[SOLVED] Trace HW not present - ARM cortex M4

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Trace HW not present - ARM cortex M4

Hi,

I am working on ARM Cortex M4 development board provided by Vorago technologies. I am using keil IDE with Jlink/J-trace Cortex. When I enable the "Trace"(look in attachement for settings), the debugging session is getting terminated with an error "Trace HW not present" followed by "Error: Target DLL has been cancelled. Debugger Aborted!". Also, find the j-link log file in the attachment
    Images
    • j-link_log.PNG

98.39 kB, 953×1,050, viewed 568 times
    • trace_settings.PNG

32.38 kB, 622×502, viewed 659 times
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry
    According to the log you are connecting to the target via a J-Link OB. They usually have no trace capabilities.
    Try using an external J-Link or J-Trace PRO if you are looking to use trace features.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Satheesh,

If you are looking to use hardware assisted tracing, that hardware features obviously must be available on the target device. If they are not available you can't use the features, not matter which debug probe you use.

But what will always work is trace features implemented with software e.g. printf debugging.
    A general overview of trace types can be found here:
    wiki.segger.com/General_information_about_tracing

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.