[SOLVED] Live Expressions - Failed to evaluate expression

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Live Expressions - Failed to evaluate expression

Hi,

I am developing for STM32F4 with Atollic True Studio using J-Link Pro as debug probe.

In the Live Expressions tab I have about 10 expressions (which are simple variables).

When starting debugging, sometimes all expressions are evaluated just fine but sometimes some expressions show the error message "Failed to evaluate expression".

This does not happen every time. In one out of ten debugging runs, all variables' values are shown. The other times, some random variables show the error.

If I then remove that variable from the Live Expressions list and add it again, its value is shown just fine again.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks for any hint.

Best regards

The post was edited 2 times, last by icwiener ().

• Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    True Studio is not a SEGGER product so unfortunately we can't offer support here. The J-Link in this setup is simply a receiver of commands from the IDE. So if a particular window is not doing what it should it is usually an issue with the IDE itself, so we suggest contacting Atollic support in this regard.

To take the IDE out of the equation could you give our debug software Ozone a try?
    segger.com/products/development-tools/ozone-j-link-debugger/

It works with Atollic output and also has a live watch feature for variables.
    Do you see the same issue with Ozone as well?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino,

thank you for your input.

In Ozone, all values seem to be shown fine. I tried about 10 debug runs and every variable's value was shown in each run (amazingly fast, btw :)).

Thanks, now I know where to look. :)
  • Hello,

Great to hear that it is working reliably with Ozone.
    We are happy about any new Ozone user we can win for us ;)

This thread will be considered solved now.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.