[SOLVED] missing placement files or inconistent documentation of ES

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] missing placement files or inconistent documentation of ES

Dear all,

from studio.segger.com/index.htm?ht…/arm_memory_map_files.htm I understand that there are several placement files provided. Actually I'm working mainly with a SAME70 device from Microchip and tried to setup for using the TCM memory. If I check the package directory I could only find flash_placement_2Flash_1RAM.xml. All the others are missing. I tried to create 'Generic Cortex-M', a STM32F7 and an NXP1050 device. All of them I know have TCM memory but the corresponding placement file was not offered to choose. Any idea where I can find the placement files that are mentioned in the documentation? In the release notes for 4.10 there is a fix mentioned for the flash_to_tcm_placement.xml, but even this file I couldn't locate so far on my hard-disk.

Best Regards
    Markus
  • Hello Markus,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    The easiest thing would be to use the SAM-E package where the SAME70 devices are part of.
    You can install it under Tools->Package Manager->Microchip->SAM-E

The remaining steps are explained here in a video:
    segger.com/products/developmen…o/technology/cpu-support/

With that package you can now create a target specific project and have a linker file and memory map set up for your specific target device including TCM.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Dear Nino,

I understand and get it to work with a little bit of try-error. Anyway, in the documentation there are more placement file templates mentioned then actually exist - or better say more than I can find. So I ask myself if either there are still some more templates somewhere (hard to find?) or the documentation is not in-line with the product.

Best Regards
    Markus
  • Hello Markus,

The files referenced in the documentation are the generic samples which come with Embedded Studio and are locate in the studio install folder under targets/Cortex-M.

I just brought up the package variant with the SEGGER Linker as it provides you with a solution that runs out of the box.
    The generic files are as the name suggests generic and require user configuration to make it fir your particular setup.

Feel free to use that approach if you prefer it.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.