[SOLVED] Missing text, RTTViewer, Ubuntu

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Missing text, RTTViewer, Ubuntu

Hi.
    I am using the JLinkRTTViewer in Ubuntu 19.10.
    Part of the text in messages is displayed in black on a black background. If double-click on this text, you can see that it is there (the text is highlighted in blue on the picture)
    At the same time, if I use a virtual machine with windows 10, then everything is displayed without problems. The same firmware, the same J-Link.

I attach screenshots of the JLinkRTTViewer from Ubuntu, and from Windows (here you can see that the lines end with numbers)

JLinkRTTLogger (ubuntu), save data without any problem.

What could be the problem?

• Hi,
    Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.

Could you please update your Software and Documentation Pack on Ubuntu to version 6.60a (the same you also use in your W10 VM) and try it again?

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • I updated the version to 6.60a, but the problem remained. I have had this problem for a long time, with different versions of the Jlink.

I also use Ozone in Ubuntu, there are no problems with RTT text.

Maybe I can provide you some more information about the system or libraries used?
  • Hi,

Could you provide us with a simple out-of-the-box working code sample to reproduce this issue?

Best regards,
    Fabian

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Oh sure.
    For the test, I made a simple project on a nucleo H743.
    Built-in ST-Link converted to J-Link. Without problems, it is displayed in Ozone (ubuntu) and JLinkRTTViewer (win10), but part of the text in JLinkRTTViewer (ubuntu 19.10) missing.
    Images
    • RTT_1.png

133.38 kB, 808×624, viewed 399 times
    • RTT_2.png

281.34 kB, 1,538×867, viewed 354 times
    Files
  • I did a small test: I download the ubuntu 19.10 ISO image and launched it in a virtual machine in live mode (without installation).
    No system update, just install two lib* packets for jlink .deb package dependencies. Install JLink 6.60a. (deb, x64).
    The lines look the same as mine, in the installed system - the numbers at the end of the line are black on black.
  • Hi,
    We will try to reproduce the issue and if necessary fix it.
    We will keep you posted.

Best regards,
    Fabian

• Hi,

this seems to be a more general problem of text rendering under Linux. I see the same effect in Ozone V3.10a in the disassembly window for a RISC-V target (while ARM targets seem ok). Immediate data are often (but not always) printed white on white, showing up only when highlighted with the mouse. Both Debian 9.11 and 10.2 show the effect, the latter apparently stronger (higher percentage of invisible text).

So if you find a fix for the RTT display, please apply it also to Ozone.

Best regards,
    Jo
  • Hi,
    We fixed the issue. The fix is part of version V6.62a and later.

Best regards,
    Fabian