[SOLVED] Can not activate Segger Embedded Studio permanently

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Can not activate Segger Embedded Studio permanently

Hello,

I have a virtual machine with a CentOS operating system installed and I want use Segger Embedded Studio to programm some ARM processors (non commercial).
    So I have downloaded and installed version 4.30a. Now I have to activate the software and I get the attached prompt. I choose "Activate Your Free License" and got a license key over my e-mail account. I enter this license key and can work with this application. But I have to reenter the license key when I reopen the application so the whole procedure repeats.

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks and regards
    Daniel
    Images
    • Unbenannt.png

81.93 kB, 1,915×1,001, viewed 751 times
  • Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    You can find troubleshooting steps for the Nordic license here:
    wiki.segger.com/Get_a_License_…dic_Semiconductor_Devices

It appears that you are trying to open the default Hello project after a fresh ES install. This project does not use a Nordic target device which is why the installed license has no effect.
    For further information see the Wiki article.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Nino,

thank you for your answer. I´m not using a nordic product. I have a Segger J-Link (Educational version) and want to to some bare metal stuff on my Raspberry Pi. Does your solution works for this case too?
  • Hello,

Oh OK then this is a misunderstanding. The license pop-up is just a reminder that the base version of Embedded Studio may be only used for non commercial or educational purposes.
    In this free version this pop-up can not be removed.

This can only be removed with a commercial license. The Nordic license that is offered there is available for free due to an agreement with SEGGER and Nordic so Nordic users can use the IDE for free for commercial purposes as well. This however only works for Nordic target devices.

However there are no functional differences between the free and commercial version if you are worried about that. It is just a license/legal matter.

Regarding the Raspberry Pi as a target device. Some Raspberry target chips are supported by J-Link:
    segger.com/downloads/supported-devices.php

However most Raspberry Pi boards are not designed to be debugged externally by e.g. a J-Link thus in most cases the debug interface is not available or disabled.
    Please understand that we can't provide assistance in setting this up as the information needed is not related to SEGGER products. For information on how to enable external debug probes on different Raspberry Pi boards we recommend trying the Raspbery Pi support channels.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • SEGGER - Nino wrote:

However most Raspberry Pi boards are not designed to be debugged externally by e.g. a J-Link thus in most cases the debug interface is not available or disabled.Please understand that we can't provide assistance in setting this up as the information needed is not related to SEGGER products. For information on how to enable external debug probes on different Raspberry Pi boards we recommend trying the Raspbery Pi support channels.

Best regards,
    Nino

This is not a problem, because I´ve got JTAG etc. running so I can access the processor with the J-Link. The only issue was this pop up and how to create a assembler project for a specific ARM core listed in the supported device list of the Embedded Studio (but this will be a new post).