Degree symbol in GUI Builder

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Degree symbol in GUI Builder

I want a Text label that reads degreesC - symbol, not the word degree. The only way I've found to do it is to copy a degree symbol from Character Map and then size the Text widget accordingly, then overwrite the degree symbol with \260, leaving me with a Text label reading "\260C" (can't do this with hex, only octal) so of course it looks rubbish in GUI Builder (but ok at run time.) Is there a better way to do this?
    • Hello,

there is only support of the base ASCII set in text editable parameters of the widgets in GUIBuilder.

The only thing you can do is generate the degree symbol as '°' in a text editor with extended symbols support (for example, in Word) and then paste it to the field "Content" of the text widget in GUIBuilder.

Alex.
    • Hi,

the proper way is to use UTF8 encoding.

As LexaGB already said the GUIBuilder supports only the ASCII range.

You have to set other strings manually. After GUI_Init() call GUI_SetEncodeUTF8() to enable UTF8 encoding.

C Source Code

1. GUI_Init();
      2. GUI_UC_SetEncodeUTF8();

When setting a string to the TEXT widget you have to pass an UTF8 encoded string.

C Source Code

1. hItem = WM_GetDialogItem(pMsg->hWin, ID_TEXT_0);
      2. TEXT_SetText(hItem, "\xc2\xb0""C");

You can use the tool U2C.exe to convert a txt file (it has to be saved with UTF8 encoding without BOM) into a c-file with the UTF8 string.

More information can be found in the emWin user manual chapter 32.1.1 UTF-8 encoding.

Here is an example:

C Source Code

1. #include "DIALOG.h"
      2. /*********************************************************************
      3. *
      4. * Externals
      5. *
      6. **********************************************************************
      7. */
      8. /*********************************************************************
      9. *
      10. * Types
      11. *
      12. **********************************************************************
      13. */
      14. /*********************************************************************
      15. *
      16. * Defines
      17. *
      18. **********************************************************************
      19. */
      20. #define ID_WINDOW_0 (GUI_ID_USER + 0x00)
      21. #define ID_TEXT_0 (GUI_ID_USER + 0x01)
      22. /*********************************************************************
      23. *
      24. * Static data
      25. *
      26. **********************************************************************
      27. */
      28. /*********************************************************************
      29. *
      30. * _aDialogCreate
      31. */
      32. static const GUI_WIDGET_CREATE_INFO _aDialogCreate[] = {
      33. { WINDOW_CreateIndirect, "Window", ID_WINDOW_0, 0, 0, 320, 240, 0, 0x0, 0 },
      34. { TEXT_CreateIndirect, "Text", ID_TEXT_0, 20, 20, 80, 20, 0, 0x64, 0 },
      35. };
      36. /*********************************************************************
      37. *
      38. * Static code
      39. *
      40. **********************************************************************
      41. */
      42. /*********************************************************************
      43. *
      44. * _cbDialog
      45. */
      46. static void _cbDialog(WM_MESSAGE * pMsg) {
      47. WM_HWIN hItem;
      48. switch (pMsg->MsgId) {
      49. case WM_INIT_DIALOG:
      50. //
      51. // Initialization of 'Text'
      52. //
      53. hItem = WM_GetDialogItem(pMsg->hWin, ID_TEXT_0);
      54. TEXT_SetText(hItem, "\xc2\xb0""C");
      55. break;
      56. default:
      57. WM_DefaultProc(pMsg);
      58. break;
      59. }
      60. }
      61. /*********************************************************************
      62. *
      63. * _cbBk
      64. */
      65. static void _cbBk(WM_MESSAGE * pMsg) {
      66. switch (pMsg->MsgId) {
      67. case WM_PAINT:
      68. GUI_SetBkColor(GUI_BLACK);
      69. GUI_Clear();
      70. break;
      71. default:
      72. WM_DefaultProc(pMsg);
      73. break;
      74. }
      75. }
      76. /*********************************************************************
      77. *
      78. * Public code
      79. *
      80. **********************************************************************
      81. */
      82. /*********************************************************************
      83. *
      84. * MainTask
      85. */
      86. void MainTask(void) {
      87. GUI_Init();
      88. GUI_UC_SetEncodeUTF8();
      89. WM_MULTIBUF_Enable(1);
      90. WM_SetCallback(WM_HBKWIN, _cbBk);
      91. GUI_CreateDialogBox(_aDialogCreate, GUI_COUNTOF(_aDialogCreate), _cbDialog, WM_HBKWIN, 0, 0);
      92. while (1) {
      93. GUI_Delay(100);
      94. }
      95. }
      96. /*************************** End of file ****************************/
      Display All
      Regards,
      Sven
    • Thanks both.

Sven: I more-or-less tried this approach with the generated C file to set the Text widget, although I used octal rather than hex - I learnt something today from the use of hex in your code above! I did know how to do it in code - and when I tried, I didn't need to set anything to UTF-8 as the font used supported the character.

I rather suspected that I would need to do it manually if necessary, I just thought I'd check as I'm new to emWin. The approach I tried, by setting the text to "\260C" in GUI Builder works at run-time and if it only supports ASCII fonts then that's not surprising.

Thanks

Andrew