[SOLVED] How to use external flash script from SES

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] How to use external flash script from SES

I have a python script that flashes target device. I would like to use it from SES. Basically I want it to work that way, when I push target -> download file. I would like this script to be executed.
    The reason behind it is that the script not only loads current .hex file, but also bootloader, softdevice and generates some keys.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thank you in advance!
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    In project options under User Build Steps you can find multiple hook points where you can execute external tools etc. that use command line options.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello,

If you are simply looking for a way to start an external tool via a button you could look at Embedded Studios external tools interface.
    studio.segger.com/ide_external_tools_file_format.htm
    To edit the file go to File->Open Studio Folder->External Tools Configuration

However this would be a lot of work for a simple task as flashing a target. If you are looking to just Flash an image simply use J-Flash or J-Flash Lite from the J-Link software package as a separate tool.
    If you are looking to do the flashing automated from within ES at certain trigger points you can use the aforementioned User Build Steps and e.g. J-Flash via command line.
    Or you can use the options under Loader->Additional Load File[] to Flash the bootloader before each debug session start.

So you see there are many options. The question is which do you prefer.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • SEGGER - Nino wrote:

Hello,

If you are simply looking for a way to start an external tool via a button you could look at Embedded Studios external tools interface.
    studio.segger.com/ide_external_tools_file_format.htm
    To edit the file go to File->Open Studio Folder->External Tools Configuration

However this would be a lot of work for a simple task as flashing a target. If you are looking to just Flash an image simply use J-Flash or J-Flash Lite from the J-Link software package as a separate tool.
    If you are looking to do the flashing automated from within ES at certain trigger points you can use the aforementioned User Build Steps and e.g. J-Flash via command line.
    Or you can use the options under Loader->Additional Load File[] to Flash the bootloader before each debug session start.

So you see there are many options. The question is which do you prefer.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Hello, I have tried external tool - others are not relevant since we need to flash 4 files and do some manipulations before.
    I was able to make it work when specifying <match> to *.c. Thus I was able to launch it on any source file. However, I want this option be available only on project menu/Solution/ or be as one option - definitely not for source files.
    How to make <match> work so it will show external tool under project menu here.
    Images
    • external tool.png

32.95 kB, 1,591×864, viewed 427 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sergey22: One of the questions has been solved ().