[SOLVED] JLink EDU and Renesas HEW and E2 Studio

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] JLink EDU and Renesas HEW and E2 Studio

Hi,

I have not found this issue on the forum, so apologies if it has been covered already.

I recently bought a JLink EDU and have started using it with Renesas' HEW and E2 Studio. In the case with HEW, the emulator setup only allowed me to select the 56307, 56308, 5630D and 5630E parts, none of which i am using. I searched for any way to update the device selection for the Renesas processors, but i didn't find any. Regarding E2 Studio: i can find the processor i am using, but the JLink emulation doesn't upload and run the firmware. I get a "Failed to execute MI command" error message, which i have been trying (unsuccessfully, so far) to resolve.

I have a few questions, please:

1. (most important): can the JLink EDU actually be used with the Renesas processors? When i run Ozone, the only choices for processor are ARM cores. So does this mean that my EDU will only do ARM?

2. Is there an (inexpensive) way to upgrade my EDU by installing a new driver or firmware to it so that i can emulate RX630 chips?

3. Does anyone know why i get the "Failed to execute MI command" message and is it some setting for the EDU or is it a limitation of the EDU?

Thanks very much in advance for any insight into any of these questions.
  • I have been trying to modify the debug settings including GDB Server settings in E2 Studio, but i cannot get the emulator to actually upload the firmware to my board. However, i can toggle the IO register bits on the RX630 through the E2 interface. However, using the JLink never actually runs the firmware or so it seems. I keep getting the "Failed to execute MI command" error message.

I forgot to mention:
    Running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, E2 Studio V7.6.0 and of course, JLink Edu

I have been searching on other forums and websites and i can't find any answers to this problem (yet), although i have noticed that quite a few people have this issue, but it seems the problem is never resolved or at least not for JLink and RX processors. If i can't upload the firmware to the RX630, then the emulator is useless. I wonder if other emulators, such as E1 from Renesas have this problem?

Again, thanks in advance for any input into this issue.
  • The full message i get in E2 Studio when the mouse pointer hovers over any particular PDR register settings is (eg):

Failed to execute MI command:
    -data-evaluate-expression &(0xFFu)
    Error message from debugger back end:
    Attempt to take address of value not located in memory.
  • I seem to recall similar experiences when attempting to use a JLink with a non-arm Renesas CPU. I tried for awhile to use a Jlink pro with a RX62N on e2 studio (version 7.0 I think -- maybe 6.2) and gave up and just went back to the Renesas E1. Debugging worked great at first (maybe a few days) and slowly progressed into not working at all. I actually warranty exchanged a JLink pro thinking it was faulty due to the issues I was having debugging the RX62n. The new JLink pro had the same the problems.

I suppose its possible the board with the RX62n I was debugging didn't have the correct traces to interface was a Jlink properly -- though I checked numerous times to confirm the connections were correct.
  • Thank you for your reply. At least i know that i'm not the only one experiencing this.

I have left messages on this Segger website as well as the Renesas website, but so far, i have not heard of any solutions (actually, yours is the first reply i've had). If JLink has no hope of working with Renesas processors, then a full refund should be due.

I really have no clue where to look to start finding the problem's cause. Is it on the Segger side (JLink driver, perhaps?) or the GDB server / driver side or on the Renesas IDE side (both HEW and E2 Studio). It's very frustrating that there doesn't seem to be support for what turns out to be a fairly common issue. Don't Segger and Renesas communicate with each other?

How did you find the E1 emulator? Did it work out-of-the-box with the Renesas IDE or did you have difficulty setting it up? I'm thinking that i'll have to get rid of the JLink and get an E1 if i can't get this issue resolved soon.

Thanks again for your help!
  • My experience is Segger points to Renesas and Renesas points to Segger. The JLink does work fine with arm based renesas cpus.

The E1 debugger works without any issues out of the box with e2 studio and HEW.
  • Thanks again. Were you ever able to find any potential solutions mentioned with using JLink with the RX and getting it working?

It looks like i'm going to ask for a refund on the JLink Edu. The Renesas E2 Lite is a little cheaper than the Edu.

Since i'm a retired engineer, i really don't have the bag loads of cash, like corporations or banks, for better tools. Engineers, turns out, don't get QE in any form...

I'm really disappointed at the lack of input (and perhaps, concern) from Segger (and Renesas) on this issue. I know that the Edu does not include support, but as i said, i can't afford all the bells and whistles for higher-end devices. And as you said, even with higher-end devices, Segger still doesn't really play well with RX. I would have thought that they would have resolved this issue by now since it seems to be pretty common.
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

cymatics wrote:

I'm really disappointed at the lack of input (and perhaps, concern) from Segger (and Renesas) on this issue.
    Sorry to hear that but you opened the thread out of our office hours with a topic over a probe without support claim, so please understand that we can't come rushing to the rescue within hours as we do for customers that paid for support...

To answer your initial questions, we are not aware of any issues.
    All supported devices are listed here:
    segger.com/downloads/supported-devices.php

We recommend using the latest J-Link software version.
    Could you test general connectivity to the target device using J-Link Commander?
    wiki.segger.com/J-Link_cannot_…ty_using_J-Link_Commander

Could you provide a screenshot of the complete connect sequence? Is that working so far?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino,

Thank you for your reply. I'm aware that the Edu model comes without support, so i regret and apologize for my earlier statement. I was so frustrated when i wrote it. Again, apologies.

I was able to manipulate the processor's IO registers through the E2 Studio's IDE via the JLink Edu. I saw the output pins change state as i wrote to them. However, i was never able to get a successful upload of my code to the processor and get it running. The IDE's Debugger UI consistently showed that something was being uploaded (both HEW and E2 Studio) and did not give any warnings or errors, but i have no idea where in memory the code was being uploaded to or if it was even the correct code.

Rev A of my project used an RX210 kit board for development, and it had a JLink OB on it. I used HEW IDE with compete success. It was plug-and-play.

When using Renesas HEW with the new processor, the JLink debugger interface in that IDE only showed a choice of processors which were in the same family (RX630), but not the correct FLASH or RAM size or pin count. So i reluctantly moved to E2 Studio. I have been on the Renesas website also, in the forums, trying to figure out how to set up the compiler, linker, etc. as well as debugger options. However, that has been exceptionally slow going as the documentation on E2 Studio settings is minimal.

One response i had to this forum was regarding using the RX family chipset and the experience with that person indicated that when he used the JLink, he had similar problems to mine. But when he switched to a Renesas emulator, it worked first time out of the box.

I do not have the experience to understand what might be causing the lack of interoperability between the JLink Edu, E2 Studio and my target board processor. I've already spent several days trying to get the emulator to work with my board. I have requested an RMA on the JLink and will try the Renesas emulator. If i still have issues with that emulator, it wil point to improper setup of my IDE build environment (although i have tried several variations already).

Thank you. I really appreciate your reply and i'll update this thread with my experience once i receive the other emulator.
  • Hello,

cymatics wrote:

However, i was never able to get a successful upload of my code to the processor and get it running.
    This is why we suggest trying it with the Commander first. If you can download and debug in the Commander, J-Link software is OK and the issue lies in the Renesas IDE.

cymatics wrote:

Rev A of my project used an RX210 kit board for development, and it had a JLink OB on it.
    The OB is just a smaller and slower version of the full size J-Links. So if it works with the OB it should work with the J-Link. Should you run into issues check the wiring as in that case the OB and external J-Link are wired differently to the target MCU. The boards user manual usually guides you through the correct connecting process.

cymatics wrote:

When using Renesas HEW with the new processor, the JLink debugger interface in that IDE only showed a choice of processors which were in the same family (RX630), but not the correct FLASH or RAM size or pin count. So i reluctantly moved to E2 Studio. I have been on the Renesas website also, in the forums, trying to figure out how to set up the compiler, linker, etc. as well as debugger options. However, that has been exceptionally slow going as the documentation on E2 Studio settings is minimal.
    It is the IDEs responsibility to show all supported devices. J-Link is just a receiver of commands from the IDE. The supported devices I sent you in my last post. If an IDE does not show this complete list or filters/blocks it somehow the issue lies within the IDE. In that case we recommend contacting Renesas support.

General setup instructions for the Renesas IDEs can be found here:
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…gy/ides/renesas-e2studio/
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…hnology/ides/renesas-hew/

Should you run into issues with the IDE and project setup we recommend contacting Renesas support.

cymatics wrote:

Thank you. I really appreciate your reply and i'll update this thread with my experience once i receive the other emulator.
    Please note that the other probe is no SEGGER product so advertising for a third party product would be against forum rules.
    As the initial inquiry has been answered and the J-Link EDU that was used when opening the thread is no longer being used in this project, this thread will be closed now.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.