[SOLVED] Impossible to have multiple instances of SES on MacOSx Catalina

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Impossible to have multiple instances of SES on MacOSx Catalina

Good morning everyone,

I have been happily using SES for a few years now to work on Nordic devices (NRF52). So far I worked in a Linux environment, and I used to open a few projects at the same time to copy code fragments or to compare source codes in case of problems.
    I recently switched an a MAC running OSx Catalina, and I am not able to open more than a single project....whenever I have an open project, if I try to open a new one, the latter is opened in the existing windows so there is no way for me to have 2 (or more) projects side by side.
    I already tried activating the proper option in the SES options (Tools-->Options-->Environment--> Allow Multiple SEGGER....), as suggested in other threads (or as I did in Linux), but this does not seem to have any effect. I tried to put the option both to YES or NO (to check if there was maybe a mistake there), but still I can open only a single project.
    This is pretty annoying especially when I have to check for project settings, included files, source code and so on, so it would be great if someone can suggest me a possible solution to this issue.
    These are the details of the SES version I am running

SEGGER Embedded Studio for ARM
    Release 4.30a Build 2019110506.40491
    macOS x64

Thanks for the help!
    Lorenzo
  • Hello Lorenzo,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    The reported behaviour was reproducible and we are working on a fix.
    The issue comes from new access rights management imposed by Catalina which has not been communicated properly by Apple.
    Anyhow we are sure that we will find a solution soon.

For now a quick workaround would be to use different versions of ES at the same time. This does not seem to be blocked by the new macOS access right system.

Sorry for any inconveniences caused.

To stay up to date with ES releases you can subscribe here:
    segger.com/notification/subscribe.php?prodid=196

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

quick update.
    Try launching ES with CL option "open -n".
    This should allow you to open multiple instances of the same app under macOS.

Edit: An example for this can be found in our Wiki:
    wiki.segger.com/Start_multiple…Studio_instances_on_macOS

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.