[SOLVED] RTOS plugin when no GDBServer used ( = IDE / tool uses jlink dll )

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] RTOS plugin when no GDBServer used ( = IDE / tool uses jlink dll )

Any way to get the RTOS awareness plugin when your IDE/ tool is _not_ using GDBserver but talks to J-Link using shared library? As for e.g. Ozone (as I understand it uses jlink dll/*.so ).

The post was edited 1 time, last by v01d ().

• Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    The IDE and Ozone use different awareness plug ins than GDBServer.

ES: wiki.segger.com/Enable_RTOS_Awareness_in_Embedded_Studio
    Ozone: Shipped with Ozone. Can be found in Ozone installation folder under Plugins. How to use them is explained in Ozone manual.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • How to use them is explained in Ozone manual.

Does it mean I can use Ozone's plugin (so library) in another IDE? Just making sure I understand it. (Through a public available API to the RTOS's *.so ? or how ? )
  • Hi,

If I understand you correctly you are looking to port the RTOS awarness to other IDEs/debuggers? Is that correct?
    In that case the interfacing with the J-Link library is generic and only a read and write function is called. Everything else is handled in the IDE/debugger itself, like getting symbol information and calculating offsets.

For Embedded Studio and Ozone we can use identical plugins. They are .js files and can be found in e.g. the Ozone install directory.
    The .so approach is the "old" one for Ozone and is kept for backwards compatibility. The new one is using the .js files.
    The API for this is explained in the Ozone user manual.

The GDB Server plugin is not compatible to Ozone or ES as the GDB Server has to use another approach due to the limitations of the GDB Protocol.

So you can only use the available plugins from us in third party IDEs if the IDE uses the same API which I doubt. For third party IDEs most likely other plugins must be created which is usually out of our reach. We recommend using SEGGER software tools when debugging for compatibility.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Nino,

The GDB Server plugin is not compatible to Ozone or ES as the GDB Server has to use another approach due to the limitations of the GDB Protocol.

So you can only use the available plugins from us in third party IDEs if the IDE uses the same API which I doubt. For third party IDEs most likely other plugins must be created which is usually out of our reach. We recommend using SEGGER software tools when debugging for compatibility.

If the tool in question already uses J-Link, and by my understanding, likely the jlink *.so/*.dll , because I don't see it invoking GDBServer, and because the traces do not look like GDBServer ones, is there then any immediate 'hook' to the Segger's RTOS plugins?

(The specific tool I'm wondering about at this moment is TI's CCS. They do integrate Segger's J-Link support )
  • Hello,

CCS uses the GDB Server so you should be able to use the following approach for RTOS awareness if CCS offers to pass a CL options (-rtos) to GDB-Server:
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…r/thread-aware-debugging/

If that is not the case we recommend contacting TI support in that regard and see if a CL interface can be added to CCS.

Best regards,
    Nino