[SOLVED] Segger JLink to access external SPI NOR flash on Nordic 528450 DK (pca10056) in direct mode

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Segger JLink to access external SPI NOR flash on Nordic 528450 DK (pca10056) in direct mode

Hi,
    is it possible to read/write the MX25R6435F external SPI NOR flash using Indirect Mode (https://wiki.segger.com/Programming_External_SPI_Flashes) with Segger JLink?

Currently I am getting

Source Code

1. - Start of determining flash info (Bank 1 @ 0x00000000)
    2. - ERROR: Could not find CFI compliant flash device
    3. - ERROR: Error while determining flash info (Bank 1 @ 0x00000000)
    4. - ERROR: Failed to read back target memory
    5. Disconnecting ...
    6. - J-Link: Flash download: Bank 0 @ 0x00000000: Skipped. Contents already match
    7. - Disconnected
    [/quote]According to segger.com/downloads/supported-devices.php parallel CFI NOR flash should be supported:
    NameCoreSupported flash typesNotesNordic SeminRF52840_xxAA
    Cortex-M4Parallel CFI NOR flash
    Internal flash

Is the MX25R6435F CFI compliant?

If I deselect automatic flash memory detection in the project settings, I cannot see the flash device:
    [img]https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/resized-image/__size/320x240/__key/support-attachments/beef5d1b77644c448dabff31668f3a47-ae42c2b26f814437bd7d77d4c9318e22/pastedimage1568961669605v1.png[/img]

JFlash SPI, which I would use to connect the device in direct mode supports the device:
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…es/supported-spi-flashes/

Is it possible to use the indirect mode or do I need to solder and interface directly with the flash chip?

Thanks,
    Markus
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    J-Link currently does not offer indirect programming of SPI Flashes for that target device.
    But you can create a Flash loader for that using a open Flash Loader interface:
    wiki.segger.com/Open_Flashloader

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.