[SOLVED] Disable UI dialogs on windows

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Disable UI dialogs on windows

Hi,
    I am making an automated script for testing devices using JLink Commander, but having hard time with unwanted dialogs on win.

Issue 1:
    First I need to check whether emulator and board are connected to my laptop. I do this by running JLink periodically every few seconds with command file:

Source Code

1. exitonerror 1
    2. st
    3. exit
    On macOS, everything works fine. If there is no emulator connected, it returns error. Otherwise it returns board status, so I parse it and check value of VTref.

But on windows it works differently. If there is no emulator, it popups Emulator Selection dialog and waits for user interaction. I would like to avoid this.

Issue 2:
    When emulator is actually connected and there is new firmware available, it popups "Firmware Update Available" dialog and waits for user interaction.
    I tried to add commands into command file like:

Source Code

1. exec SupressInfoUpdateFW
    2. exec DisableAutoUpdateFW
    but seems they have no effect at all. I believe I do it right, because DisableInfoWinFlashDL command works fine.

my environment:
    Windows 10
    J-Link Base version: 10.1
    J-Link software on laptop: 6.50b

Question(s):
    1) How to hide all ui dialogs asking for user interaction on windows ? So J-Link Commander works the same way as on MacOs or Linux.

If answer is NO, then:

2) How to avoid "Emulator Selection" dialog on windows ? Or is there maybe a better way how to check whether emulator is connected ?

3) How to avoid "Firmware Update Available" dialog on windows ?

Thanks for help !

The post was edited 1 time, last by UserZbh ().

• Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    J-Link Commander is meant to be used as a troubleshooting and quick start tool. It is not supposed to be used for automation which is why some commands might not work as expected in this context.

For automation purposes we recommend using the J-Link SDK and creating your custom application that fits your needs without workarounds:
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…nk/technology/j-link-sdk/

Regarding 1:
    There is no exec available for this, but it can be achieved with the J-Link SDK.

Regarding 3:
    This will only work with the J-Link SDK in this context as the setting of the exec is only saved during the active session. So your suppress setting will not survive multiple instances.
    However we always recommend using the latest FW. To achieve the same behaviour as on macOS and Linux we recommend using the exec command "SilentUpdateFW".

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • SEGGER - Nino wrote:

Regarding 3:
    This will only work with the J-Link SDK in this context as the setting of the exec is only saved during the active session. So your suppress setting will not survive multiple instances.
    However we always recommend using the latest FW. To achieve the same behaviour as on macOS and Linux we recommend using the exec command "SilentUpdateFW".
    Looks like "SilentUpdateFW" has no effect at all.
    on MacOS, JLink Commander doesn't try to update an old fw.
    on Windows, it still popups "update firmware window".
  • SEGGER - Nino wrote:

This will only work with the J-Link SDK in this context as the setting of the exec is only saved during the active session.
    Did you write your own application with a J-Link SDK?
    If not it will not work.

By the way, you seem to be working for one of our silicon vendor partners. We recommend using our official support channel in this case, especially when discussing J-Link SDK related matters.
    How you can find in my signature.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.