[ABANDONED] J-Link RTT Viewer Hangs

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] J-Link RTT Viewer Hangs

Hello:
    I am able to debug and output to the J-link RTT Viewer(V6.44e) and when I stop debugging or sometimes randomly, the Viewer will display the message
    "Warning: IAC character followed by invalid character(nonhexadecimal)"
    and the Viewer freezes and therefore would have to restart it
    I dont know what is causing this issue and when it really started. I previously did not have this issue.
    I am using Nordic SDK 15 and softdevice s132 and Keil V5.24.2.0
    your time, effort, and help will be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
  • I think it means that it is receiving a non-ascii character in the stream - or interpreting it that way. I am using 6.50b and don't seem to see that issue - but i do have issues with attempting to use vt100 colour codes with rtt viewer showing
    WARNING: ANSI CSI SGR parameter 39 not supported.
    when trying to clear the colour formatting - i probably need to use the RTT specific defines, but it works fine for other terminals
  • Hello,

@whazin
    Could you please give the most recent version of the J-Link RTT Viewer (V6.51e) a try and tell me if the problem still occurs for you?

@Barak14
    For text formatting, the RTT Viewer is made to work with the RTT_CTRL defines as they are defined in the SEGGER_RTT.h.
    Similarly, we suggest to use the RTT_CTRL_CLEAR define when clearing the terminal.
    Do you have a source/ examples for terminal applications using ANSI CSI SGR parameter 39 for clearing the screen?
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • @Leon

I installed 6.52b and now I am getting the error message

ERROR: <All Terminals>: Terminal change character (IAC) followed by invalid character (non-hexadecimal).

it does not freeze like it did before but I am nt sending crazy characters and this used to work. please help!

Thanks
  • whazin wrote:

@Leon

I installed 6.52b and now I am getting the error message

ERROR: <All Terminals>: Terminal change character (IAC) followed by invalid character (non-hexadecimal).

it does not freeze like it did before but I am nt sending crazy characters and this used to work. please help!

Thanks
    I am using RTT-Viewer together with the RTT-Subset of the SystemView package and a ADSP-CM40x Microcontroller from Analog Devices:
    SEGGER_RTT_TerminalOut( 0, RTT_CTRL_RESET );
    SEGGER_RTT_TerminalOut( 0, outMessage );

I have similar problems with the RTT-Viewer: The same ERROR Message occurs at my side two times.

And i have noticed a change at the RTT-Terminal Window (RTT-Viewer 6.52b vs. earlier 6.40): To start at a next/new line sending a "\r" was sufficent, now it requires "\r\n".
    Is this change intentional ?

---- Solved ----
    I have moved SEGGER_RTT_TerminalOut( 0, RTT_CTRL_RESET ) to the end of 'other-formatted' messages (=Workaround for sometimes showing ]0 at the Terminal output)
    And the ERROR above was generated due to disrupted task stack memory caused by a buffer-overrun of other code.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KeyPi: Solved ().