[SOLVED] Debug Terminal broken v3.40 --> v4.22 ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Debug Terminal broken v3.40 --> v4.22 ?

See: 'Debug Terminal' (RTT) Window - log to file?

An nRF52 project initially created in v3.40 - the RTT logging to the Debug Terminal worked fine.

I rebuilt the project in v4.22, unmodified (apart from adding a log file) and the Debug Terminal window does not work properly - lots of output just appears as blank lines.
    (looks like only lines which had an explicit \n show?)

Close v4.22

Connect v3.40 to the running target (without reloading code, or restarting the target) and the v3.40 Debug Terminal window is fine - all lines display correctly.

What's up?
  • I found to get consistent results with the nRF52 and RTT I had to change the following definition to 0.

#define NRF_FPRINTF_FLAG_AUTOMATIC_CR_ON_LF_ENABLED 0

We here are using the NRF_LOG* calls and have made the SEGGER upgrades.

edit: I will add, the primary reason for the change was to remove additional blank lines from the terminal in OZone. We do not add \n to the log output.
  • Thanks.

What I see is that, with the exact same image running in the Target, the behaviour is different between SES v3.40 and SES v4.22.

Do there's no difference in what the code is doing/sending - purely in the way that SES is (mis)interpreting it.

I didn't update the J-Link drivers, etc.
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    The display change in the debug terminal is intended and will stay that way.
    There was a bug in the Nordic SDK which will be adjusted in future versions.

See here for more information.
    [SOLVED] RTT Viewer not show log

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

awneil wrote:

At what version did it change?
    4.16 according to changelogs.

awneil wrote:

And does it also affect the standalone RTT viewer?
    Standalone RTT Viewer is developed independent of debug terminal in ES.

awneil wrote:

I'm using SDK v15.3.0, which is specified to work with SES v4.12 - was that before the change?
    Yes.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hello,

Thank you for providing the link.
    To archive this information the thread will be locked now.

Best regards,
    Nino