[SOLVED] Find references is painfully slow

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Find references is painfully slow

I have recently started using SES when working with Nordic nRF52 BLE chip. Coming from Eclipse background, the "find references" functionality in SES seems to be really slow. A simple search of any references to function X in my project takes about 15 seconds to complete!

Is there some way to speed this up? Perhaps turn on some hidden indexing option that will index my project for faster search results?
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    What OS are you running on? Do you see the same behaviour on another OS?
    Could you provide an example project for reproduction purposes?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello,

Thank you for clarifying. The SDK samples are rather large and find references will search all files reference in the project which adds up quickly.
    So how fast it runs depends on you host PC CPU speed and storage speed.

We will check how indexing can be improved here without changing the user experience negatively.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi,

the example size should not be an issue. I have more complex projects (using Nordic SDK) in Eclipse and just tested that the search for references works instantly there.

I have a relatively new PC with 8GB RAM and SSD drive.

It would be understandable if the search was slow when you do it for the first time. But having to wait for 15-20 seconds each time you check where a variable or function is used in the project is just unusable. To me it seems like the project is not indexed at all and the tool needs to do a brute force search over the entire project each time.
  • Hello,

ES currently does not offer its own indexer. Instead the clang indexer is used which is unfortunately not always viable. So where needed the "brute force" attempt is used.
    It is planned to create our own indexed in future but currently there is not fixed time schedule for this.

Best regards,
    Nino

• OK, thanks for the update. I hope this is prioritized high in your list, because frankly the performance is so poor that it makes me pull my hair. I don't know how important feature this is for others, but for myself it is used tens of times per day when working with large projects, especially when the project contains source code written by several people, including some 3rd party libraries etc.