[SOLVED] STLink conversion utility for STLink v3

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] STLink conversion utility for STLink v3

Hi,

today I received a new board from ST (STM32G474 Nucleo-64). It contains a new debugging front-end called STLink v3.
    I could not convert the STLink to J-Link using the existing tool, which I reckon is only for STLink v2 ;( .

"Preparing for FW update (can take up to 10 seconds)...ERROR: Cannot find an ST-LINK, multiple ST-LINKs plugged in, or ST-LINK is in use"

will there be a rework done on the conversion tool in order to convert an STLink v3 to J-Link in the future?

Thanks,

Ewout Boks
  • Hi Ewout,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Currently the conversion tool is not available for ST-Link v3.
    The reason is simply because there was yet no eval board out there that had a ST-Link V3 on board.
    This seems to be the first board to our knowledge.
    I tried to find it in the usual electronic supply shops but it seems like it is not available publicly yet.
    Could you point us to the shop where you purchased it from?
    We will then order some and see if the conversion tool can be expanded.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

I must have been one of the first users then!

I bought it at Mouser :

nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ST…vJTDTT%2FJyROByOTyeQMSnwm

I really like the new chip STM32G4 for its signal processing capabilities so that was why I wanted to get one for evaluation.

As you can so in the picture, the top of the board has a BGA chip which is an STM32F723. The debug link is a USB HS type.

I hope you can come up with a solution soon, I really use the reflash tool a lot to convert to a J-Link.
    Files
  • In addition to what I wrote earlier, I saw on the list of J-Link supported devices that the entire STM32G4 is not supported (yet) by Segger. Again, I appears I am very early in adaptation cycle.
    The STM32G0, another new branch of the STM32 family, is supported by Segger.
  • Hi,

We have now ordered the boards and will investigate this when they arrive.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi,

G4 support will be added with the next J-Link software beta planned this week.
    To get a notification when it is available you can subscribe here:
    segger.com/notification/subscribe.php?prodid=7,94

Best regards,
    Nino

• Thanks, I'm looking forward to it!

The G4 Nucleo board has a separate mini SWD connector that (through a converter) can be attached to my regular JLink-Pro, So, even when the conversion utility is not ready yet, the board can be used with a standard JLink.

Ewout
  • Hello,

Great to hear that you are up and running again.
    We received the eval boards with the ST-Link meanwhile as well so the conversion tool is planned to be updated in the next weeks. *See Edit for more information*

We will consider this thread as solved now.

EDIT:
    A ST-LinkV3 conversion tool is currently not planned as according to ST all V3 boards should have an external debug header so an external J-Link can be used for debugging.

Best regards,
    Nino