[SOLVED] J-Trace and 4 bit TRACE on IMXRT1021

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Trace and 4 bit TRACE on IMXRT1021

Hi there,

I'm trying to do parallel trace on an IMXRT1021 144 pin variant. I can only seem to get it to work for 1-bit wide tracing. When I try to set 4 bit (either via Ozone GUI or using a JLinkScript file with the line JLINK_TRACE_PortWidth = 4) I still only see single bit output from the chip (i.e. TRACECLK and TRACE0 are toggling) and, in this circumstance, I get no trace output.

Is there something I'm missing here? I have setup the pins manually to support trace (ALT6 mode) with no difference in symptom. There is nothing else contending for the pins.

Regards

DAVE
  • Hello Dave,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Could you provide the S/N of your J-Trace for reference?
    Generally we try to provide as many trace examples for trace capable target devices as possible. However one key prerequisite is that the trace lanes are available on a public eval board.
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…echnology/tested-devices/
    This is unfortunately not the case for the iMXRT10xx series so far.

But if you are interested I could provide you with the JLinkScript source for the iMXRt105x series. wiki.segger.com/Tracing_on_NXP…050_Trace_Reference_Board)

This chip uses slightly different pins for tracing than the RT1021 but the principle should be the same and this way you would have a working template to reference from.
    Would that be of interest to you?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino,

This is our own board and we've specifically brought out the trace pins to be able to use with the JTrace....which is a bit of a pain as they're shared with the Ethernet.

I've PMed you my s/n and email address. If you could send me the source that equates to the PEX file for the 1050 that would be very helpful.

What concerns me slightly is that in the TPIU registers (TPIU_SSPSR) it would seem that only one bit tracing is supported on this chip...so I'm hoping I'm mis-reading them. I've got a question in with NXP on this point, as all of their documentation suggests four bit trace should be available.

Regards

DAVE
  • Hi Dave,

dmarples wrote:

which is a bit of a pain as they're shared with the Ethernet.
    Yeah this is why we created our own trace reference board for the iMXRT105x series as the NXP eval boards did not provide any approach to demonstrate the trace feature which is quite unfortunate.

I sent you the download link for the script via PM now.

dmarples wrote:

What concerns me slightly is that in the TPIU registers (TPIU_SSPSR) it would seem that only one bit tracing is supported on this chip...so I'm hoping I'm mis-reading them.
    That sounds strange, what value do you get? If the value is >= 0xF 4 bit trace should be supported.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Dave,

This is odd indeed. Lets pretend NXP simply programmed a wrong value there ;)
    Would not be the first time we see incorrect read only register values.

Best regards,
    Nino