[SOLVED] Renesas S5D9 and QSPI IS25LP128

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Renesas S5D9 and QSPI IS25LP128

Hi!

I have a custom board with a Renesas Synergy S5D9 MCU connected with an external QSPI IS25LP128.

From the segger website I read that both the MCU than the QSPI are supported. Moreover the MCU is supported for external QSPI programming.

However when I try to read or load a binary file from/to the QSPI it fails with this message:

- Executing init sequence ...
    - Initialized successfully
    - Target interface speed: 4000 kHz (Fixed)
    - CPU clock frequency: 1987 kHz (Auto detected)
    - J-Link found 1 JTAG device. Core ID: 0x5BA02477 (None)
    - Connected successfully
    Reading target memory (0x60000000 - 0x60001000) ...
    - Start of determining flash info (Bank 3 @ 0x60000000)
    - ERROR: Error while determining flash info (Bank 3 @ 0x60000000)
    - ERROR: Failed to read back target memory
    Disconnecting ...
    - Disconnected

Other details:
    • I am using the last version of the J-Flash (6.46g)
    • I am able to read and write the QSPI using a firmware on the S5D9.
    • The QSPI interface of the MCU can be mapped to 3 different group of pins (2 with our package). We are using the "C" mapping (P207, P208, P209, P210, P211, P214). Does JFlash try all the possible interfaces?

Thank you very much!

Cristian
  • Hello Cristian,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    We tried to reproduce the reported behaviour with an SK-S5D9 eval board but everything was working as expected.

Angler84 wrote:

The QSPI interface of the MCU can be mapped to 3 different group of pins (2 with our package). We are using the "C" mapping (P207, P208, P209, P210, P211, P214). Does JFlash try all the possible interfaces?
    The generic QSPI support is usually based on a publicly available eval board. In this case it is the SK-S5D9. That board uses different pin mapping:
    Pin 140-145.
    So to use the built int QSPI flash loader that pins would need to be used.
    If you are looking to use different pins you can use the open flash loader interface:
    wiki.segger.com/Open_Flashloader

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Nino,
    thank you for your response!

Unfortunatly I've just noticed that in our package one of the pin is not available (P505). Such a pin is used as DATA3 so the "quad" programming in not possible with that pin configuration.

I have 3 questions:
    1. In the SK-S5D9 (maybe you intended the PK-S5D9, I can't find any references to the SK-S5D9) is the QSPI supported also for the single or dual configuration?
    2. In the case I need to create my own Open_Flashloader binary, are the S5D9 sources publicly available?
    3. Even if I will able to create my own Open_Flashloader, can I use it with the integrated Jlink version of Renesas IDE e2studio? This is the most important question.

Thank you again in advance.

Cristian
  • Hello Cristian,

1: It is supported in single configuration so P505 is not needed.
    2: Unfortunately not for this target device.
    3: Open Flashloader output files can be added globally so it would work with e2Studio as well:
    wiki.segger.com/Using_Flashloader_with_different_IDEs

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.