[SOLVED] MSP432 cannot be flashed

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] MSP432 cannot be flashed

Hi
    I have a J-Link for Arm 8.0 and I'm trying to flash an MSP432 with 1MB internal flash (MSP432P411Y).
    The J-Link drivers are v6.44h.
    If I try to program the chip with UniFlash from TI or with IAR Embedded Workbench (meaning, only image download without debugging), the tools report a programming failure. It seems that only the first 512KB can be programmed. Addresses above this limit cannot be programmed.

If instead of using the J-Link I use a TI MSP-FET debugger, everything works fine with the same image.
    I guess there is a problem in the J-Link drivers that prevents the image to be flashed.

Any help would be very appreciated.
    Regards.
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    The UniFlash is not our software so we can't comment on it working or not.
    But you should be able to Flash the MSP432P4 with Segger software like J-Link Commander or J-Flash.
    They are available in your J-Link software install folder.
    Could you try Flashing with J-Link Commander for example?
    wiki.segger.com/J-Link_cannot_…ty_using_J-Link_Commander
    After successful connect use command loadfile and specify the binary/hex that should be programmed.

Does that work?
    If not could you provide a J-Link log file of the failing session?
    wiki.segger.com/Enable_J-Link_log_file

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thank you for the reply
    I think one of the problems is the erase algorithm.
    I've tried the following:
    IAR Embedded Workbench 8.32.1
    Just create a dummy main.c project for the MSP432P411Y
    Download the dummy project in the target
    Now in the memory window, select Flash as memory
    Now try to fill the flash with 0x0 from address 0x0 length 0x100000 (1MB)
    Then go at address 0x80000 (upper 512KB start): the memory has NOT been filled!
    If you try to fill from address 0x80000 for length 0x80000 (upper 512KB), it doesn't work either.
    Also with the JLink commander, if I issue an Erase command, the upper 512KB are not ereased.

Edit: I've also tried with a J-Trace for Cortex-M V3.2, same result. I've downloaded the latest J-Link drivers (6.46f), same result.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Davide ().

• Hello,

The issue could not be reproduced using our Flash algorithm.
    To get IAR as an error source out of the equation could you try the following using J-Flash?
    • Open J-Flash in your J-Link install directory
    • Create example project for your device
    • Disable the info Flash bank under Options->project settings->Flash->Flash Bank->Select Bank 1->Select Disable Flash Bank->Press OK
    • Erase target device (F4)
    • Create 1 MB Testdata with Target->Test->Generate Test Data->Start 0x0 Size 0x100000
    • Program and Verify (F6)
    If this succseeds then programming and verifying Flash content was successfull.
    You can also read back manually with Target->manual programming->Read Back->Entire Chip
    so you can see for your self.

What is the result of this test for you?
    If this is working it can be that the IAR Flash loader is broken.
    To disable it and use our Flash loader instead see here:
    wiki.segger.com/IAR_EWARM#Using_the_J-Link_Flash_loader

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.