[SOLVED] *SUCCESS* - Ported STM32H743 'IAR EWARM' project over to SES

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] *SUCCESS* - Ported STM32H743 'IAR EWARM' project over to SES

Hi All,

Just wanted to share this, in case anyone out there was working on an STM32H7xx (or similar) project, and was looking to switch over to SES.
    (I know Segger has mentioned they are still working on their IAR to SES import flow (as well as adding a CubeMx type import).)

The IAR<->SES import currently works for the basic project properties, etc, but you will still need to fix some things up manually, and I found some of the files from their 'Nucleo eval board' example code merged with some of their STM32H7 'package' brought it all together.

1) STM32 startup asm of course needs to use SES startup, and not IAR startup assembly files.
    (ie you'll need to use:
    a) STM32H7xx_Startup.s --> bootup code out of reset
    b) STM32H7x3_Vectors.s --> Interrupt Vectors
    c) thumb_crt0.s --> final stage up bootup that calls into application 'main'

2) Needed to switch the 'linker' to use GNU instead of SEGGER (SEGGER mostly compiled, but there were two missing imports related to SEGGER init stuff)

3) Also I think I recall in the 'Code Generation' the 'ARM Architecture' & 'ARM Core Type' may have been off, and needed to be changed to 'v7EM', and 'Cortex-M7',
    (just make sure these are set correctly)

4) Updated the 'STM32H743xx_MemoryMap.xml' & 'STM32H743xx_FlashPlacement.xml' to add all SRAM regions in the STM32H743, and set the default location for stack/heap to the AXISRAM.

Everything is building correctly now, debugging is great, entire project is working perfect. I have to say SES is just so much better to use than IAR, and I've been using IAR for the last 2+ years. The build is much faster, much more informative as far as size of final output, memory usage, etc. It's also much faster, cleaner, and just looks better!

Hopefully SEGGER will indeed add that 'Dark Theme' sometime in a future release to make the entire GUI be 'dark theme' (and not just the code window), ie like Visual Studio does. It really does help the eyes.

Attached is the STARTUP & Section/Memory files for the STM32H7xx...
    Files

The post was edited 1 time, last by MikeFlyersFan ().

• Hello Mike,

well, thats very funny, we were doing the same thing at the same time. Whish I had found a thread like yours at the beginning of May when I had started with the migration of my project. Unfortunately my debugger isn't working quite properly yet.

So, I can give you a helping hand with your Dark Theme problem, under "Tools -> Option -> Enviroment -> User Interface (Scroll Down) -> Theme" you are able to set a dark theme, for the whole Window (and not just the color sheme for the code Window). But personally I've to say that it is may a bit too dark. A little redesign would be nice here.

Greetings
  • MJus wrote:

Hello Mike,

well, thats very funny, we were doing the same thing at the same time. Whish I had found a thread like yours at the beginning of May when I had started with the migration of my project. Unfortunately my debugger isn't working quite properly yet.

So, I can give you a helping hand with your Dark Theme problem, under "Tools -> Option -> Enviroment -> User Interface (Scroll Down) -> Theme" you are able to set a dark theme, for the whole Window (and not just the color sheme for the code Window). But personally I've to say that it is may a bit too dark. A little redesign would be nice here.

Greetings
    Hi,

Awesome, thanks so much for that, didn't even know that setting was in there! It helps a bit at least..

but you are right, personally I think the 'Visual Studio Dark Theme' is just perfect, I've used that over the last few years. If they can come up with a theme along those lines, it would be superb. This one is a bit too dark....