[ABANDONED] STM32F745VG, Missing SystemView FreeRTOS Events, Recording Error

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] STM32F745VG, Missing SystemView FreeRTOS Events, Recording Error

Issue description:
    Nearly identical to forum.segger.com/index.php/Thread/4047-Help-with-SystemView/
    (I checked based on the suggestion in that thread -- my application is still running, so I think the root issue must be something else)

Hardware:
    STM32F745VG processor, j-link Ultra+

PC:
    Linux, rt-preempt kernel, Lubuntu

When I use SystemView after applying the FreeRTOS v10 patch, then if I call `SEGGER_SYSVIEW_Conf` only, it seems the RTT is detected (and/or I can manually enter the address from map file), but there are no events logged at all.

If I also call `SEGGER_SYSVIEW_Start` after `_Conf` then I see only a few events with timestamp 0:00:00, identical to the forum issue linked above, and with the same error when I try to stop recording or restart recording again after the error:
    "Cannot send command to target."

From some troubleshooting, I think RTT is detected correctly because if I manually enter a value that is incorrect, it does say "RTT control block not found". So auto-detection and manual entry with correct address does work (but, again, no RTOS events and definitely no continuous recording data)
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    Are you using custom hardware or an eval board?
    If the latter which one?
    Could you provide a sample project for reproduction that shows the described behaviour?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino,

Thanks for your help here. I have resolved the issue by just starting with a fresh branch and just following the steps from scratch (instead of continuing on the existing branch where we had tried RTT).

Everything seems to be working now -- using the RTT directly, as well the FreeRTOS integration. I'll note that with the FreeRTOS integration not all of our tasks / ISRs are reporting, only our main task + SysTick interrupt is recorded.

As well, we noticed many buffer overruns on Linux (even with a 64k buffer size), but on Windows works well with no drops on our target even with a much lower buffer size.

If either of these problems are common, or have existing solutions, could you let me know? Otherwise I can make more forum posts for these issues specifically.
  • Hello,

If you are getting constant overflows try increasing the interface speed to a higher value. Does that improve the behaviour?
    All information needed to get a FreeRTOS SystemView setup can be found in the SystemView manual and on our Wiki:
    wiki.segger.com/FreeRTOS_with_SystemView

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino,

Thanks again for looking into this.

My results were having the JTAG interface speed set to 30MHz (our STM32 CPU only supports max 32.5MHz)

But Windows also seems to work at lower speeds without problems -- only Linux is having the constant overflows problem, even at the maximum speed we can use.