[SOLVED] Best way to send a binary file with RTT to the MCU?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Best way to send a binary file with RTT to the MCU?

Hello,

I'm already able to communicate with RTT between my PC and my MCU (nRF52840). Now I'd like to transfer a whole binary file, but so far I did not find any way to do it.

What I tried is:
    • Drag & drop the file to the RTTViewer window => Not possible
    • Drag & drop the file to the RTTClient terminal => Doesn't do anything
    • Connect with Putty through Telnet to send the file from there => It seems whatever I write on Putty never reaches the target, I don't know why it doesn't work the same as RTTViewer
    • Create a Python script doing that with telnetlib (Telnet) => Sans as with Putty, what is passed with the "write" function doesn't reach the target.

So I'd like to know what would be the best way, if any, to transfer such a file to the target (with RTT) ?

Note that I can copy the file content and paste it to RTTViewer, but for very large files, using the clipboard is not so good.

Best regards,
    Tim
  • Hello Tim,

The RTTViewer and RTTClient are not meant to be used that way.
    However you can use the J-Link SDK and create your own application that would allow something like that:
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…nk/technology/j-link-sdk/

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello, thanks for your replies.

awneil wrote:

Why do you want to do this via RTT?
    I want to test a part of the code which relies on another file transfer protocol, which isn't ready at this point. Since I already have a RTT debug terminal implemented, I thought it'd be quicker to use it for transferring the file even though it's clearly not done for that.

SEGGER - Nino wrote:

Hello Tim,

The RTTViewer and RTTClient are not meant to be used that way.
    However you can use the J-Link SDK and create your own application that would allow something like that:
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…nk/technology/j-link-sdk/

Best regards,
    Nino
    Thank you, I think I'll find another way, our file transfer protocol will be ready by the time the order is performed on our side. Still a good idea to order it though. Anyway, if you think of another way please let me know.

The post was edited 1 time, last by TimF ().