[SOLVED] J-Link firmware issue in BMI change with XMC1 family (Infineon)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Link firmware issue in BMI change with XMC1 family (Infineon)

Good day. Recently I discovered small mulfinction in latest firmware of J-Link Lite regarding BMI (Boot Mode Index) change in XMC1 with DAVE v4.4.2 software.

Related topic:
    Problem with setting BMI value of Infineon XMC1000 via J-Link

Hardware setup:
    - XMC1400 Boot Kit with on-board J-Link Lite (based on XMC4200).

Sofware setup:
    - DAVE 4.4.2 (tested both x32 and x64 versions)
    - J-Link driver package v6.00d
    - J-Link driver package v6.42d (actually all packages statring from V6.40b to the latest)

Problem:
    DAVE supports feature of direct BMI change for XMC1 family. It works any time no matter which boot mode selected (exept protected modes, but this is not our case - here meaned only Debug mode and ASC BSL). But feature works only with v6.00d driver (and J-Link firmware package). If J-Link Lite firmware will be updated - BMI change feature available only while Debugging session is active. Without active debugging get BMI request failing. If J-Link fw will be "replaced" via J-Link Configurator V6.00d - feature works fine (exept continious informing that newer fw version awailable).

From factory XMC comes in ASC BSL mode and Debugging session is not possible without BMI change. It is not crutial - some scripts and tricks can change BMI in many ways, but it seems some part of functional in J-Link fw has been depreecated.

Best Regards
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    Regarding BMI we recommend the following Wiki article: wiki.segger.com/XMC1000
    Does it provide the information your are looking for?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thanks for the reply, Nino!

SEGGER - Nino wrote:

Regarding BMI we recommend the following Wiki article: wiki.segger.com/XMC1000

Yes, i saw this article. Unfortunatly i dont have original J-Link to reproduce pre-compilled scripts so I'm limited with on-board J-Link capabilities. I tried several ways and several J-Link firmwares (which automatically installed with newer version of J-Link drivers) and came to following - integrated in DAVE scripts works fine with older firmware (such as v6.00d) and latest fws works only while debug session. I worked upon this topic about a month or so and finished with my own scripts for communicating with ASC BSL to change BMI from inside, but still using DAVE much more easier. Currently I'm keeping all fw out of date, stucked with v6.00d to save this functionality.

How can I assist in investigation? Maybe I can catch some logs from console to see difference in work between v6.00 and v6.42?
  • Good day, Nino!

I checked latest release of driver package v6.44 and within release notes found great news:

Release notes for J-Link software and documentation package - Version V6.44 (2019-03-01) wrote:

Firmware: J-Link-OB-XMC4200: Using the command in J-Link Commander before connecting to the target device could cause the J-Link firmware to hang and report a USB timeout. Fixed.
    Quick local test showed that all described above features are working perfectly.

Thanks!
  • Hello,

Good to hear that you are up and running again.
    We will consider this thread as solved now.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.