[SOLVED] TMS570LS0432/JLink EDU: IDCODE mismatch

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] TMS570LS0432/JLink EDU: IDCODE mismatch

Hello,

I previously made a thread about flashing a TMS570LS0432 with a JLink Mini EDU; it turns out that if you pay attention to the datasheet/specs (which I obviously wasn't doing :D ), you'd realize that the Mini can only target Cortex-M. I went ahead and grabbed a JLink EDU (which, according to the product page, does support Cortex-R4) and am now attempting to program.

However, the issue I'm running into now is basically the same problem I had before. Upon attempting to connect, I get an "IDCODE mismatch" error, and error code -1. The image attached shows the exact output of JLink Commander when attempting to connect to the microcontroller.

Other threads with nearly this exact same error said that the issue was a loose/bad connection, but everything on my board is attached quite firmly, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm beginning to trudge through the user manual, but preliminary searches/skimming don't seem to say much about this error. Does anybody happen to know what this means/how to fix it?
  • Hi,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    What is the S/N of your J-Link Edu?
    We tried to reproduce the issue with a J-Link V10 that we have here (same hardware as Edu) and everything was working fine on an TMS570LS043 Hercules Developement Kit.
    Are you using custom hardware or an eval board?
    Could you compare the Hercules devi kit board with your design and see if there are any differences on how the JTAG connection is set up on the board?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Images
    • Capture.PNG

45.18 kB, 677×894, viewed 330 times
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • My serial number is 260112082. I'm using a custom board, but I have this exact same issue both on my custom hardware and the development board I have (TMS57004 Launchpad). I looked at the schematic and the only thing of interest that I was missing was some pullups, which I went ahead and rigged onto it with no change. I will say that a point of interest is that I didn't expose SRST to the JTAG header, so I'm going to put a flying lead on it and see if attaching that to the debugger will get me there. The development board seems to get by fine without it, but my wild guess is that ntRST can only be asserted after a system reset; I put a pullup on the ntRST pin and my logic analyzer (which, to be fair, is an el cheapo $20 Salae clone) claims that it's still logic low (TI claims that the pullup on it is quite weak), so that's why I'm going down this avenue.

Would it be possible for you to give me a quick rundown on what development board you're using, and how you have the debugger connected to it? I'm guessing that if I solve the problem on my development board, I'll solve it on my custom hardware, as well.

EDIT: attaching SRST to the debugger didn't seem to do the trick, just as a heads up.
    EDIT 2: I just attempted connecting to my devboard again, and managed to get it working this time around. Maybe I connected something wrong the first time? I'm going to go through the schematic for the devboard and see if I can find any new insights.

The post was edited 2 times, last by tpmeier ().

• Hello,

We are using this board: ti.com/tool/TMDS570LS31HDK
    With a TMS57043 on it.

tpmeier wrote:

I just attempted connecting to my devboard again, and managed to get it working this time around. Maybe I connected something wrong the first time? I'm going to go through the schematic for the devboard and see if I can find any new insights.
    Are you using the original SEGGER USB cable and JTAG cable? On the eval board you are using there is a on board debugger which might interfere with external debug connections.
    In many cases with TI boards that have such on board debuggers the on board probe has to be disabled.
    Example: wiki.segger.com/LAUNCHXL_CC2650
    Maybe this is also the case here.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• I am not using the original Segger JTAG cable, as the pinout on both the TMS57004 development board and my custom board are both different than the standard ARM 20 pin connector. The onboard debugger on the TMS57004 does not seem to cause any issues while debugging, and my custom hardware doesn't seem to have any differences in the debug department (other than not having another debug probe attached, of course).

It's worth noting that when trying to connect to the my custom board, the light on the JLink turns orange and stays that way until power to my board is turned off. Is this indicative of any issue? My understanding is that the orange light means that the device is in reset, but I don't understand why this would be the case.

The post was edited 4 times, last by tpmeier ().

• Hello,

Does your custom board have the onboard debugger as well? If so make sure it is disabled so there is no interference between internal and external probe.

tpmeier wrote:

It's worth noting that when trying to connect to the my custom board, the light on the JLink turns orange and stays that way until power to my board is turned off. Is this indicative of any issue? My understanding is that the orange light means that the device is in reset, but I don't understand why this would be the case.
    This indicates signal integrity issues. Do you have an eval board for reference you could test against?
    We recommend comparing the JTAG signals of the eval board with the signals on the custom board and see if there are any differences. For this we recommend using an oscilloscope.

Best regards,
    Nino