[SOLVED] RTT-viewer telnet server

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] RTT-viewer telnet server

Hi Segger:

I'd like to ask:
    If My laptop runs RTT-viewer that captures my target board's log via J-Link EDU Mini, via SWDIO,
    Then it's possible to retrieve log messages by telnet client software (putty to localhost:19021)

But is it possible to retrieve log messages by other computer within a LAN?
    (For example:
    - laptop A runs RTT-viewer and has IP address 192.168.0.50
    - laptop B with IP address 192.168.0.51 and putty to 192.168.0.50:19021)

Thanks!
  • Hello,

Yes, enabling external RTT clients is supported.
    You can use J-Link command string RTTTelnetAllowNonLocalClient for that.
    More information can be found in the latest J-Link user guide UM08001.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino:

Thanks for your reply, But when I try "JLink.exe -RTTTelnetAllowNonLocalClient" on my windows10
    It says "unknown command line option".

Could you please guide me how to use J-Link command string?
    Also, I couldn't find any information of "RTTTelnetAllowNonLocalClient" in UM08001 of v6.34g.

Regards,
    Joseph
  • Hello,

It is available with the latest J-Link software version V6.40.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Nino
    Thanks for your reply

But after I try and error, I still can't use laptop-B to connect to laptop-A's j-link telnet server.
    My environment and steps are:

1. Laptop A(windows 10 with disabling firewall) with jlink-edu-mini which is connected to my target board.
    2. run "jlink -device nrf52832_xxAA -if swd -speed 4000 -autoconnect 1", then enter "exec RTTTelnetAllowNonLocalClient 1" in J-Link prompt
    3. telnet to "127.0.0.1 19021" in laptop-A , then I can see RTT log in my telent client window.

4. Use laptop B, try ping to laptop-A IP address, it got the response.
    5. Use laptop B, telnet to laptop-A IP address with port 19021, it can not connect.

I hope I don't misunderstand J-Link RTT log with telnet server concept, could you guide me how to see RTT logs by a non-local telnet client?

Regards,
    Joseph
  • Hello,

To be able to use this function you need to set RTTTelnetAllowNonLocalClient before the J-Link DLL is loaded.
    This is currently only possible with the J-Link SDK where you can write your own Application.
    More information about the SDK can be found here: segger.com/products/debug-prob…nk/technology/j-link-sdk/

We will improve the J-Link documentation accordingly so it becomes more clear.

Best regards,

Nino